Is texting over wifi in Google Messages free internationally for me and the recipient?
jaknapp
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Pixel 2 and am using Google Messages as my default text messaging app. I'm traveling internationally and have my phone in airplane mode. I can receive and send texts over wifi without using data, but when I send messages it's still saying they're being send via SMS (as indicated by the "SMS" text under the send icon in the app). Will I or the recipients of my messages incur charges for sending/receiving text messages internationally?

Re: Is texting over wifi in Google Messages free internationally for me and the recipient?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I hope you are having a great trip wherever you are! You can stop worrying, no one else is getting charged and neither are you. If your phone is in Airplane mode, you are not able to use Data, send texts or make calls. All those features are disabled. Everything else on your device will work normally (like the camera, calculator, etc.) and any apps that need to be used via the internet may only be used with a Wi-Fi connection. For extra security or peace of mind, you may also turn off the Mobile data in the Settings app, but rest assured, no one will be charged for using an app to send or receive texts over Wi-Fi. 

Tina_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes