Need to connect to the Verizon network from the Canada side of Alberta, Canada border.
ascaplan
Enthusiast - Level 1

Hi,

I am in Canada for a project for the next few months, and due to COVID I am not traveling back to the US until it's done.  I recently updated my phone to a 5G capable device, which apparently can't use the same SIM as my last device.  I have my new SIM from Verizon (forwarded to me), but I'm told by tech support that I can't activate unless I'm actually on the Verizon network.  I am less than 3 hours from the border, and I plan to head South in the next few days to try my luck in the parking lot of the Carway border station (Carway, AB T0K 1Y0)

Question is: Does anyone live near the Carway border, or have any insight into Verizon coverage in that area?  I'd like to know that I can grab a Verizon signal without having to actually cross.

Also, if you know of any other locations around there that have some Verizon signal, that would be great to know.  Thanks!

Adam

Labels (1)
Re: Need to connect to the Verizon network from the Canada side of Alberta, Canada border.
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It is possible to get lucky and connect from across the border. However, I would not expect it to connect outside of the United States. More than likely, you will have to be able to cross to activate this device. If there is any other information we can provide you with on this matter, please let us know. 

VZW_Robert

Re: Need to connect to the Verizon network from the Canada side of Alberta, Canada border.
Maddoxt3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Adam I am in almost exactly the same situation and probably also in same location of Calgary-ish. I can't go back until these assinine restrictions go away. My data hasnt worked for 4.5 months now.

Data via travel pass stopped working dec 15. 

Ordered new lg v60 to be shipped up here and waited a month.

Verizon rep suggested needing new 5g sim. Had it forwarded up here after a few weeks.

A dozen long vzw rep phone calls and 20 useless chat rep conversation later and I'm thinking of driving to roosville bc/carway border stations to get a signal to hopefully sort my phone and sim and situation out. 

Did you have any luck? 

0 Likes
Maddoxt3
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well as an update to the original poster and anyone else who might find themselves in the same situation:

You can get passable Verizon signal from both the Roosville BC/Montana border station AND the Carway AB/Montana station on the Canadian side from duty free store parking lots.

However, nothing will work as far as getting the international data working again.

When I went to the Roosville station, I connected to the VZ tower, used my data successfully for a while, made some calls, sent some texts, then turned off roaming, and shut my phone off and kept it off for 36 hours, thinking it would reset the limitations.

Didn't work.

Then I went down to the Carway border station, connected to the VZ tower, used a bunch of data, waited on hold for 50 minutes with vzw support, had them do a reset on my plan and issue a different number and then they provided me the following steps:

Turn off phone and remove SIM, wait 30 minutes, reinsert SIM and restart phone, Turn airplane mode on for 1 minutes, turn it off, restart phone. Try and use services, then VZW changed phone number back to my normal number.

Also didn't work.

At this point I can't advise that anyone use Verizon if they intend to travel frequently or for extended periods of time. I've invested a small fortune of both time and money in trying to remain their customer and it has all been wasted.

0 Likes