No Service in London
las14

In the four days we were in Barcelona (18-21) our phone never worked.  It always showed "limited service."  I prepared for the trip by calling Verizon and they said they set me up for "pay as you go."  When I had problems with my earlier Sprint phone support told me to do different things with settings I didn't understand.  (At that time I could occasionally connect so could talk to support).  So I toggled different settings, but nothing helped.  What should I do to prepare better for my next international trip with my Verizon phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: No Service in Barcelona
las14

I don't know why my subject ended up "No Service in London," because I was in Barcelona.  I was reading a post entitled "No Service in London" earlier.... Anyway, my question concerns Barcelona.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having the right international plan along with making sure your phone is set up properly for your trip is important las14. I'm sorry your service didn't work well while you were traveling to Barcelona. We are unable to guarantee service while traveling internationally because the towers do not belong to us but we can tell you if you will be connected in that county. We can make sure you're prepared for this upcoming trip. What device do you have? Did you enabled voice and data roaming on your phone during the last trip? Based on our international trip planner, I show we do have service in Barcelona. This was based off of our Pixel 2 device but you can use the international trip planner via our website with the correct phone to determine your options. Here is a link https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/ . Are you planning on using WiFi calling? 

Is this information helpful?

KinquanaH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
boringusername
Master - Level 1

You do realzie that Verizon has no native service in Europe and you'd be roaming on a  local a carrier if Verzion has such a deal in that area and  if your phone supports the bands used in that area

0 Likes
Re: No Service in London
mama23dogs
Legend

Cellular use in another country is limited by the bands provided by local towers, and the hardware of your phone.  Most current flagships do have bands for other carriers, but that doesnt mean there are supporting towers.  

Cant imagine Spain has 3rd world coverage, but many islands like Haiti, Cuba, rural China, and rural South America, for example, have little to no service.  I see complaints all the time about buying a travel plan, but getting little to no connection.  

The rest is up to your phone.  Most cheap prepaid phones have no bands for outside North America.  

0 Likes
jterhark

My family was in London Oct 2018 and we all had service with the Travel plan.   In Sept 2019 we were there again, had the travel plan, and none of us had any service, phone nor Internet.  My wife arrived in London last night, she has the travel plan, I called Verizon and informed them the dates she would be in London and again zero service.  This is fraud,  Verizon is charging me money and I am getting zero service in return.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am a consumer myself so I understand the importance of having services especially when traveling out of the country. No one likes paying for a service that does not work. You have reached the right person to help you. I know your wife is there and we want to make sure she is set up to use our services. Since you don't have the phone we can provide some tips to help. What is the make and model of her device? Does her service improve is she goes to a different area? If she has not already please have her restart her phone. AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
BMG4ME
Contributor - Level 1

I have similar issues in London when I travel, I get good phone service but the data is spotty and that's being kind.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, even in the same location.  Web and apps time out frequently. We are paying $10 a day for this service.  The comment that was made earlier is not appropriate, that Verizon doesn't own the towers.   You are charging us for the service and it's up to you to make sure that your partners live up to their side of the deal.  Either that, or please give us back our $10 per day, or at least some of it.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We understand how important it is to have consistent service while abroad. Keep in mind that Travelpass only gives you high speed data for the first 0.5 GB/day with 2G reduced speeds thereafter. You can learn more about the  plan here: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/travelpass-faqs/. Don't forget that if you want to avoid international charges, you can enable Airplane mode and connect to Wi-Fi to stay in touch. 

BrittanyC_VZW

0 Likes