Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: We’re excited to inform you that we will be merging the Fios and Wireless Communities to a unified Verizon Community with a new look and feel throughout. If you are interested in what specifically has changed, please see the New Revamped Community article under the Featured Topics.***
Surprise International Call Charge with Travel Pass - Tip
NetDoc

I recently went on a trip to the UK and used Travel Pass every day.  I understood that there would be NO charges other than the daily pass unless I called another international country (which I didn't.  When I got home, I had three calls for $40 total in the middle of my trip that originated in my home town on a land line!  Obviously, that was impossible as I was in the UK.  I called Verizon Customer Service and they figured it out right away, and took off the charges.  Can you figure out what happened?  Partial answer below.

Answer:

On these three occasions, I had turned on a home-based VPN for some web browsing and didn't turn it off before the call.  As a result, Verizon thought that I was making a call from the US.   This isn't the complete answer though, because the bill said that the call was from a US-based landline!  I do have wi-fi calling turned on, but a wi-fi call shouldn't result in charges at all.  So, I don't have a complete answer, but I can recommend that you turn OFF your VPN before making calls while traveling internationally, especially if you have wifi calling assist turned on.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Likes