Texting in Airplane mode with wifi
anra

I am travelling internationally.  Even with airplane mode enabled, when I am connected to wifi, I have been able to send and received text messages.  I am using the messaging app that came with my Note 8, not the Verizon one.  The bar on top shows the airplane and the wifi symbol, but not the VZN wifi.  Is this possible?  I just want to make sure that I will not received any roaming charges on my account.  I did a quick search online, I keep reading contradicting information.  Some said this shouldn't work unless you are roaming, that it only works with VZN messenger app, to it works. 

0 Likes
Re: Texting in Airplane mode with wifi
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would be concerned too if this happened to me especially during my travels. We don't want you to get charged for roaming while on Airplane Mode. Thank you for bringing this to our attention, anra. When Airplane Mode is on, Verizon network voice and data services won't work. Everything will go through Wi-Fi. Rest assured you will not receive any roaming charges when you see the airplane icon and the Wi-Fi connection symbol. Let's dive deeper into this and find out how you are getting your regular text messages while on Airplane Mode via Wi-Fi.

Just curious, did you receive a text about roaming charges? Have you traveled with the Note8 before? If so, is this the first time it happened?

Please send us a screenshot (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-214059/) of your main screen and the messaging application you are using.

Ryan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Re: Texting in Airplane mode with wifi
tikibar1
Community Leader
Community Leader

Verizon Wireless Customer Support wrote:

Please send us a screenshot (https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-214059/) of your main screen and the messaging application you are using.

Ryan_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!