Texting when Overseas?
LEOLAB47

I am headed to the Dominican Republic and need to keep in touch with family/co-workers in the US while away.  I have an Iphone 7+.  Do I just turn my Cellular Data off in Settings or do I also have to turn on Airplane Mode?  I will be staying in a resort with Wifi.  Also, when I am at the resort and on wifi, am I only able to text Iphone users or can I also send and receive texts from Android?  Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Texting when Overseas?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

LEOLAB47, that sounds like an exciting trip and hope the travels go well. It would be best to turn Airplane Mode on and connect to Wi-Fi to prevent any charges if you will not be adding a temporary international plan to fully cover the usage. You will only be able to send/receive iMessages to other iPhones and you can make/receive free calls to U.S. numbers over Wi-Fi by using the steps on the following web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204165/ to ensure Wi-Fi calling is on. Texts to Android users will either have a per message charge or can opt for a plan to cover standard texts. Please visit www.verizonwireless.com/international to review all of the temporary plan options.

DavidC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes