Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Texting when Overseas?
LEOLAB47

I am headed to the Dominican Republic and need to keep in touch with family/co-workers in the US while away.  I have an Iphone 7+.  Do I just turn my Cellular Data off in Settings or do I also have to turn on Airplane Mode?  I will be staying in a resort with Wifi.  Also, when I am at the resort and on wifi, am I only able to text Iphone users or can I also send and receive texts from Android?  Thanks!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: Texting when Overseas?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Support

LEOLAB47, that sounds like an exciting trip and hope the travels go well. It would be best to turn Airplane Mode on and connect to Wi-Fi to prevent any charges if you will not be adding a temporary international plan to fully cover the usage. You will only be able to send/receive iMessages to other iPhones and you can make/receive free calls to U.S. numbers over Wi-Fi by using the steps on the following web page https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-204165/ to ensure Wi-Fi calling is on. Texts to Android users will either have a per message charge or can opt for a plan to cover standard texts. Please visit www.verizonwireless.com/international to review all of the temporary plan options.

DavidC_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes