Travel- Pass Data Not Working in EVERY EMEA Location I have been
realm952
Enthusiast - Level 1

I left for a multi-country trip to Ireland, England, Scotland, and Sweden.  I set up my travel pass with all locations via the Verizon website as well as added the Global Calling plan.  I followed every instruction.  When I arrived in Ireland I could make calls, but could not use data even though the phone had full bars and LTE.  I found wifi and contacted support via chat.  We performed trouble shooting for about an hour via chat.  I had tried to call for a human but the global company of Verizon does not actually keep global hours so while they offer international plans they only offer tier 1 support via chat (that is what I was told) and then I had to wait for "Global" tech support to open in US time zones to call.  After the trouble shooting via chat I then had to wait for a human.  During that 5 hour waiting period I started to get data out of no where.  Then I went to the UK.  Same issue when I landed.  I had paid for a car hire for 6 hours ($700 massive price) and had planned on using apps on my phone and maps to be dropped off at specific locations in London.  I spent another 1.5 hours with chat representative to the point where we essentially reset the phone.  This eroded my car hire and after not being able to troubleshoot I had to redo my whole day and missed so many things as I had to stay close to the car so I didn’t get lost.  I was honestly in tears.  I then waited for global support to open in US hours.  I spoke to the first person, who escalated to the second.  Then the phone hung up and I started experiencing issues where I would try to make a call when I had bars and LTE and the phone would immediately change to 3G and not allow the call to go through.  So then I spent another 2+ hours with multiple reps who each told me they would fix it.  I finally got it fixed after who knows how many reps.  Now I am in Sweden and same issue.  Tier 1 support can’t do anything via chat.  They did say they had tier 2 via chat but I lost that connection and now I am stuck without data yet again.  Let’s talk about safety.  I am relying on the promise of travel pass via the website.  Keep in mind I am paying for this service the whole time.  I feel helpless as everything requires your phone these days for payment, tickets, etc.  Now I am waiting yet again for global support to open up.  If you are considering Travel Pass I highly recommend you consider a SIM card of buying a pay as you go phone in another country.  Based on my experience with Verizon and their inability to support international plans at international hours I would think twice about putting your safety in their hands.  I have spend more money via time, lack of services, missed excursion due to Verizon than if I would have purchased a phone here.  So off I go to call global support again….that is in 5 hours when they are available.

Labels (1)
Re: Travel- Pass Data Not Working in EVERY EMEA Location I have been
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Your experience is too important to us for this to go unnoticed. The above post was made June 1. What has happened since then? 

-David

0 Likes
realm952
Enthusiast - Level 1

David,

I had the same issue in Sweden and was reliant on someone from my employer to ensure I could maneuver the area.  I finally got data later in the day.  This was a scary experience for me and I felt helpless.  I have no idea where to go from here as I have more international travel coming up and I cannot rely on Verizon to support that.  

0 Likes
Dawndileone

Is LTE included in the travel pass or is that a “roaming charge “?? 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, Dawndileone. I am the same way in making sure I have all the info when I travel. If you use Travel Pass that that is allowing you to use the network on wherever you are and not get charged. Now if you are in an area that has LTE then yes it is included in Travel Pass. Does this help? 

-Amber

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

Just for a little background information: travel pass does not force your phone to connect, nor permit your phone to connect, nor does it prevent your phone from connecting.   The only thing travel pass does is limit how much you are paying for roaming outside of the USA to $10 a day plus taxes.   

You should have data roaming on, which is usually off by default in settings on both iPhone and android phones.  Based on your post it seems it must be on or you would never connect or be able to use data on a foreign network.   You may find that turning your phone off and then back on again will help your phone connect to a local Network.   

Based on your post, your phone is capable of connecting to a foreign network, it just does not do so automatically. Resetting network settings or turning your phone off and then back on again should work.  Manually selecting a local Network is the last resort.   Are you traveling with a world phone?   Some bargain phones are not equipped with sufficient bands to work outside of North America.   

hope you have a better day 

0 Likes