Travel Pass
lad62

So I went to Aruba for a week and I have Travel Pass on my iphone XR.  While there I was connected to the resort Wi-Fi constantly and even had "Cell Data" turned off on my phone for most of the trip and yet still was charged the $10 per day fee every day I was there but one.  I received no calls and I made no calls.  My first question, is there a way to see the actual usage detail for the days you are charged ie., text messages,  calls or data ?  My second question is that if "Cell Data" is turned off on your phone would that also cover texting or would text messages still trigger a charge even with "Cell Data" turned off ? 

Thank you!

Labels (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Travel Pass
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lad62, we hope you had a wonderful time in Aruba.

You're only charged for the days that you use your device in a TravelPass country. A 24-hour TravelPass session starts automatically when you make or receive a phone call, send a text or use data.

If your device has cellular data or data roaming turned on, a TravelPass session can be started by background data, including:

• App content refreshing (e.g., Weather apps, Fitness Tracker)
  • Syncing (e.g., email)
  • Device or app software updates

2 hours after the session starts we send you a text letting you know when your 24-hour TravelPass session ends. Using your device after that session starts a new session.

To avoid TravelPass usage you must turn off Data Roaming, Wi-Fi Assist and Cellular Data. Airplane Mode needs to be On at all times to avoid using TravelPass. With Airplane Mode turned On you will be able to use Wi-Fi. 

Please use this link to view International Usage.

My Verizon app - Manage International Plan and View Usage

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-206368/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D2275545351946860550176810532...

Does this information provide clarity? 

JacobG_VZW

View solution in original post

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

lad62, we hope you had a wonderful time in Aruba.

You're only charged for the days that you use your device in a TravelPass country. A 24-hour TravelPass session starts automatically when you make or receive a phone call, send a text or use data.

If your device has cellular data or data roaming turned on, a TravelPass session can be started by background data, including:

• App content refreshing (e.g., Weather apps, Fitness Tracker)
  • Syncing (e.g., email)
  • Device or app software updates

2 hours after the session starts we send you a text letting you know when your 24-hour TravelPass session ends. Using your device after that session starts a new session.

To avoid TravelPass usage you must turn off Data Roaming, Wi-Fi Assist and Cellular Data. Airplane Mode needs to be On at all times to avoid using TravelPass. With Airplane Mode turned On you will be able to use Wi-Fi. 

Please use this link to view International Usage.

My Verizon app - Manage International Plan and View Usage

https://www.verizon.com/support/knowledge-base-206368/?adobe_mc=MCMID%3D2275545351946860550176810532...

Does this information provide clarity? 

JacobG_VZW

0 Likes
lad62

Yes your answer did provide clarity so thank you.

0 Likes
midevil

I am utterly confused by this response. I have everything turned off on my Iphone 12 (cellular data included and roaming off) and I am still being charged a travel pass for I do not know which reason. If I turn airplane mode on there is no WIFI access so this mean that as long as I have the travel pass even if everything is off I can still run the chance of something triggering the pass. I am in France and I just turned it off. And I am keeping the phone off which is frankly a drag. I am frankly worried. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us tonight! The last thing you need to worry about when you are on vacation is your device. You shouldn't be charged if your phone is on Airplane Mode the entire time. Do you have cellular roaming turned off as well?

*Traci

0 Likes
MirandaDM

Tracy, 

I had this same problem and was charged $60 in unused travel pass fees. I was told to turn off my cell data, which I did. If I am in airplane mode, I cannot connect to Wifi. So how do I turn off airplane mode and not "connect to the local network" and then get charged? I am trying to get my money refunded, but no one will help me and are VERY rude on the phone. (Ali and Himanshu in India were horrible, especiall Himanshu, the "supervisor")

0 Likes
MatthewR

Miranda, I echo your experience. Cellular and roaming turned off and only limited access to wifi yet charged nearly everyday for being out of the country. Ive called in attempt to contest the charges and been met with poor customer service. All I want is to pay for the days I used travel pass and not the extras. This is such a bad experience, I will NOT recommend travel pass in the future if this doesnt get fixed. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, MirandaDM. We want to ensure you receive the help you need to resolve this issue. We are sending you a Private Note to assist you further.

*Cassie

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

MatthreR, we know it's important to understand how TravelPass sessions are activated. Turning off Cellular Data can still allow the device to connect to towers internationally, triggering a TravelPass session. We inform customers that when they do not want to trigger a session, to enable Airplane Mode as this will block all cellular connection to towers. Being in Airplane Mode still allows you to access Wi-Fi, so you can stay connected to the internet.

BriannaL_VZW

0 Likes
KH-cathy29811

Due to the age of this thread, it will be locked in order to keep discussions current. If you have the same or a similar question/issue we invite you to start a new thread on the topic.

0 Likes