TravelPass questions
kgargr
Enthusiast - Level 2

I signed up for the TravelPass - will be in Greece for two weeks, and France for three weeks.  However, I am now thinking that could get very expensive - but am also not sure of what actions would cause the 10.00 per day to kick in.

I have an iphone 12, with the 5G Start plan.

1. ?If you are connected to wifi, will TravelPass 10.00 daily fee still kick in if you text or email, or do internet searches, etc.?

2. ?Do you have to constantly remember to turn off your cellular data?  If cellular is off, would the 10.00 fee ever kick in?

3. ?If I use WhatsApp, will that cause the 10.00 charge to kick in for the day?  

4. What happens if someone in the U.S. sends you a text?

Thanks, I may need to look at alternatives.

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: TravelPass questions
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello, kgargr. That sounds like such an exciting trip and we certainly will be happy to assist with any questions that you have while using TravelPass. A TravelPass daily session of $10.00 would only be applied for that 24-hours if you make a call, receive a call, send a text message, or use data without the aid of Wi-Fi. Receiving a text message would not prompt a TravelPass daily session. Disabling Cellular Data when it is not in need is a great way to save on high speed data and avoid a TravelPass session beginning. However, making a call, receiving a call, or sending a text message woudl still start a TravelPass daily session. Below is a link you can click on to view the answers to many frequently asked questions on TravelPass. http://spr.ly/6601MBNN5

-Brett

0 Likes
kgargr
Enthusiast - Level 2

How about if I download maps to my phone .. would that kick in the 10.00 charge.  Also, I have just been reading many posts about how the 10.00 charge kicks in even when the person wasn't using their phone ..  from what I am reading, I would be charged 350.00 for a 5 week trip, even if I only used my phone while connected to wifi?

And, if using WhatsApp while connected to wifi???  Would texts and calls through WhatsApp kick in the charge?

Thanks ..  this doesn't sound like a great solution for a longer trip.

0 Likes
kgargr
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yet another question.  If I do not buy an international plan option (either TravelPass or the Monthly Plan), and only do texts, emails, internet searches while connected to wifi, are there additional charges?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

If you do not purchase a plan for your international usage, you will be charged at the per use rate. This can cost quite a bit more. You can use our trip planner to view the charges: https://www.verizon.com/plans/international/international-travel/trip-planner-tool/

TravelPass is triggered any time your device places/answers a call, sends a text or use data. Some apps on your phone work in the background requesting data. This means data can be used while you are not actively using the phone (examples include email, notifications, etc). To avoid using any data at all, you would need to have Airplane Mode turned on. With this on, it will prevent all cellular connections while still allowing GPS and Wi-Fi connections. Whenever you need to use cellular service, you can turn Airplane Mode off and trigger a new TravelPass session for 24 hours. Does this help?

-Christopher

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Excellent question! The International plan options are totally optional. With a smart phone, it is possible to connect to International towers if Wi-Fi signal is weak. What we suggest you to do is to keep your device in airplane mode to avoid roaming charges. Check valuable information in the link below:

https://www.verizon.com/support/international-travel-faqs/

Does this information provide clarity?

~Maria

kgargr
Enthusiast - Level 2

thank you

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

You are most welcome, kgargr. We hope you have a fantastic day!

-George

0 Likes
Re: TravelPass questions plus dual sim with esim
kgargr
Enthusiast - Level 2

So I did not sign up for travel pass due to the cost.  I have an orange travel esim and have dual sim on my iPhone 12 Pro.  I have the esim as primary and cellular off for my own cell number.   I had to receive a verification code from a vendor so switched back to my number as primary so I could receive the iMessage. I was on wifi at the time but Verizon instantly charged me 10.00 ….   Can anyone shed some light on how I should handle this so I don’t get the version charges but can still pickup a needed verification code on iMessage. ThNks for any help. 

0 Likes
Re: TravelPass questions plus dual sim with esim
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi! Thank you for reaching out. Have you tried suspending your Verizon line?

*Harley

0 Likes