TravelPass
beemgee
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon travelpass is a ripoff. It activates even though no calls were answered or dialled no data was used (mobile data off) and no texts were sent. The phone appears to use a tiny bit of data even though mobile data is off (100 bytes - guess) every day or so. And Verizons response to this - thats your problem you have to pay anyway and you have to contact google to try to fix it - we only sell the phone.

Really Verizon - do you care so little about your customers.

Labels (1)
Re: TravelPass
APbham
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm curious if you'd previously used TravelPass without a problem.  I ask because my wife and I have used it for years without an issue and in April or May, we started getting charged for it when in Canada even when not using the phone.  We even put the phone into airplane mode before going into Canada and then turned it back on after getting back into the U.S. and were STILL charged.  I finally turned the feature off because there seems to be no other way to stop it from charging us.

raybtwo

My wife and I just got back from Europe and had the same experience. Data turned off, no phones made or answered and no text messages sent.  It happened to me a couple of times and my wife 3 times. Verizon needs to fix this.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

raybtwo, I hope you and your wife had a great time while traveling in Europe. TravelPass can be a great feature to have to ensure you can utilize your phone when traveling. The feature will only activate when the phone connects to an international tower. What make and model phone do you have? Did you receive the courtesy text message that the TravelPass session was activated?

TionnaB_VZW

0 Likes
APbham
Enthusiast - Level 2

TionnaB_VZW, you state "The feature will only activate when the phone connects to an international tower".  Your statement appears to be true because some of us are getting charged JUST for CONNECTING to an international tower.  Yet, on my phone, when I connect to a tower (Canada, in this case), the Verizon message sent out states "Pay only on the days you use your mobile service.".

In other words, I connected to a Canadian tower, my phone and Verizon are both aware of it, but I'm only charged if I actually USE the mobile service (and Verizon even sends me a text telling me this).  On my wife's phone, it would just bill as soon as it connected to the tower (no calls, data, etc.).  This has definitely changed in the last few months because my wife used the feature for years while travelling to Canada at least weekly where we ONLY charged if she actually used the phone.  Obviously there are a lot of us that have experienced this behavior. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

@APbham

I can definitely understand your concerns with you and your wife’s lines getting charged unintentionally for the 24-hour TravelPass session, even when the device connects to an international tower. Allow me to clear this up for you.

The explanation we previously provided was not intended to mean you are charged at the time the device connects to an international tower, but rather that you would never be billed unless your device connects to an international tower and uses minutes, texts or data. However, the charge is not started until either a call is made, received, a text is sent or if data is used. You don’t necessarily have to initiate the usage on your device, but background data can definitely initiate a 24-hour TravelPass session. Here’s a link that may provide a better explanation on how TravelPass works and is charged: http://spr.ly/6601EtJLx. Does this help explain how TravelPass works?

AnthonyTa_VZW

0 Likes
APbham
Enthusiast - Level 2

@AnthonyTa_VZW

Thanks for your reply.  Yes, I read the link you posted and I think I understand how TravelPass is supposed to work.  I think you state it very clearly when you say, "the charge is not started until either a call is made, received, a text is sent or if data is used".  I understand that background/syncing/push data all count as data that would initiate a TravelPass fee.  It just doesn't seem like it is doing that for everyone.

Does turning "Data Roaming" off have any effect on TravelPass charges?  For example, would turning "Data Roaming" off stop all background/syncing/push data that would otherwise trigger a TravelPass charge no longer happen?

Thanks.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

APbham, you're welcome! We are happy to learn that you were able to understand the information that was provided to you in regard to how TravelPass works as this is essential. If you have data roaming enabled, your device would still have the potential of triggering the TravelPass feature. The best recommendation would be to disable this feature completely on the days you would rather not use it. To ensure we provide you with the proper instructions on how to disable the Data Roaming feature (if needed), what is the make and model of your device? Does this help answer your question?

KevinM_VZW

sumap
Enthusiast - Level 1

The TravelPass came in really handy last month while we were in Europe doing a Cruise. I had disabled the cellular roaming feature when I did not want to use it. When the ship was docked or we were doing excursions on shore, I was able to turn it on and only got charged $10 on a 24 hour basis. It worked great for us. I would use it again.

0 Likes
beemgee
Enthusiast - Level 2

The problems with Travel Pass will not always happen. It appears (at least in my case) to be dependent on the phone. My previous phones worked fine but apparently Pixel's do some backround data even when data is turned off and Verizon sees this as usage. The only way to avoid it is to have the phone in airplane mode which is not what I wanted to do or what Travel Pass is supposed to require.