What setting should I use to avoid charges in a foreign country
Rummelwg

I will be traveling to Dubai and would like to use my iPhone with wifi.  What setting should I use to avoid any charges.  Also I understand that I can text using wifi, particularly to other iPhone users.  Is that correct?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: What setting should I use to avoid charges in a foreign country
Weth
Legend

When you get on the plane, put your iPhone in airplane mode and do not turn off airplane mode until you are back home.

When you land, turn on wifi only (you can also safely turn on bluetooth if you desire). With this you will not use any cellular service and no roaming is possible.

What iPhone do you have? If you have iPhone 6 or higher, your phone supports wifi calling. You can turn this on before you leave (you'll be asked for your 911 address, put in your home address) by going to settings - phone and turn wifi calling on.

If your phone supports wifi calling and you have it on before you leave, with your phone on wifi only, you will see VZW Wi-Fi in the status area where it usually says Verizon. WHat this means is you can use your phone as if you are in the United States while on wifi only and not get any international roaming charges. You can call and receive calls from the United States, Receive calls from anywhere, and send and receive texts from anywhere (as long as you have More Everything or My Verizon plan). Calls to anywhere outside the US would be billed as if you called the international number from the United States.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: What setting should I use to avoid charges in a foreign country
Weth
Legend

When you get on the plane, put your iPhone in airplane mode and do not turn off airplane mode until you are back home.

When you land, turn on wifi only (you can also safely turn on bluetooth if you desire). With this you will not use any cellular service and no roaming is possible.

What iPhone do you have? If you have iPhone 6 or higher, your phone supports wifi calling. You can turn this on before you leave (you'll be asked for your 911 address, put in your home address) by going to settings - phone and turn wifi calling on.

If your phone supports wifi calling and you have it on before you leave, with your phone on wifi only, you will see VZW Wi-Fi in the status area where it usually says Verizon. WHat this means is you can use your phone as if you are in the United States while on wifi only and not get any international roaming charges. You can call and receive calls from the United States, Receive calls from anywhere, and send and receive texts from anywhere (as long as you have More Everything or My Verizon plan). Calls to anywhere outside the US would be billed as if you called the international number from the United States.

0 Likes