Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Get up to $500 when you bring your phone. Plus, get the incredible iPhone 13 Pro on us. Online only. With select 5G Unlimited plans. Ends 12.5. Buy now
end of navigation menu
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
***Announcement: Early next week, we’ll be merging the current Fios and Wireless Communities into the all new Verizon Community! Beginning the evening of Sunday 12/4, both Communities will be placed in read-only mode. You’ll still be able to visit the Communities and browse content, but login will be disabled. On the afternoon of Monday 12/5, all users will be able to log into the new Verizon Community. We expect the new Community to be fully functional the morning of Friday 12/9. Additional details can be found in the Announcements board and under Featured Topics!
Why do I get charged for some International SMS but not all?
jcarta

I live in Korea, and converted my Verizon service to eSIM (using Iphone 12), because I need to keep my US number due to my entire life being connected to it, 2 factor authentications, etc. I inserted a local Korean SIM card for local data and use a local Korean number to text local friends and make local calls. The MAJORITY of my friends/family in the US are iphone users, so I can text back and forth with them over imessage for free (blue bubble texts), and I always do that using my US Verizon number. There are 2 people in my life that I text regularly with, that use Android (and thus, the green bubble texts), and I also always text them using my US Verizon number. For the last year, I have noticed that my phone bill varies greatly each month and IF I am charged for incoming/outgoing SMS messages, it is to those 2 people mostly (sometimes the random 2FA text will show up on my bill). At first, I thought that SMS between android and iphone over wifi was always free, and that I must just be out and about and not attached to wifi when I send/receive these particular texts that I'm getting charged for. But the more I read about SMS, I now understand that SMS has nothing to do with wifi and/or cellular data. So now I am even more confused as to why not ALL of my text messages to these 2 users are not being billed to me each month? I have gone through each bill each month and there are some texts (both incoming and outgoing) that do get charged but A LOT that do not. Don't get me wrong, I am not complaining, but I'm just more confused about why this happens? If international SMS are not free (I do NOT have an international plan), why do I only get charged for some SMS and not all?? Could it have something to do with the Korean data SIM I also have in the phone? Any thoughts/ideas/opinions? I'm just genuinely curious at this point....

0 Likes