Why do S7/S8 support 4G overseas, but S9 does not?
samfan2669

I'm looking at the International Trip Planner, planning a trip to Europe.  I plan to use my existing US Verizon sim card.  I notice that Galaxy S7 and S8 both support 4G in Europe (I checked Ireland), but the Galaxy S9 is limited to 3G.

Can someone explain why the newer more expensive S9 is a step backwards versus G7/G8 in terms of 4G data capability in Europe?

0 Likes
Re: Why do S7/S8 support 4G overseas, but S9 does not?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I would be equally curious as well Samfan2669. I did pull up the interactive trip planner and do see that the United Kingdom is included for the Samsung S9.https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/trip-planner-tool/#/compatible  Does this provide clarity? 

Amber_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
samfan2669

This didn't answer my question.

• When I run the Interactive Trip Planner on the Samsung S7 or Samsung S8 in the United Kingdom, I see that 2G, 3G, and 4G are all supported.
  • When I run the Interactive Trip Planner for Samsung S9 / United Kingdom, I see 2G and 3G are supported, but 4G is not.

Why does the S9 (a newer, more expensive phone) not have support for 4G?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Certainly a valid question. We would be glad to clarify. We reviewed this further and show exactly what you described. However, the good news is all you need to do is click the option to review calling options and select the coverage map. There you will show the coverage map in the United Kingdom for the S9 device does provide 4G coverage. Thus, there will be no difference between the S8 and S9 devices. 

To ensure this is resolved, we will be submitting this feedback so our site shows the S9 does offer 4G coverage similar to the S8 on the trip planner page without having to do more digging. Does this help?

Jaime_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

samfan2669, this is a newer 4G LTE device. It is capable for 4G international data networks and is international HD Voice Roaming is supported. You will need to set your device to Roaming for data to do so. Take a look here on how: https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-216648/.

EricaG_VZW

0 Likes