WiFi International Calling
rbwriter1
Enthusiast - Level 1

When traveling to Europe and using TravelPass, it seems that you can still be charged for International calls even if using WiFi calling in Airplane mode. Is that correct? is there anyway to avoid charges for local calls when in Europe? I am assuming that with TravelPass calls and text to the US are free? Please clarify. thanks

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: WiFi International Calling
mama23dogs
Legend

Good question, complicated answer.  

To start there are different plans and charges for long distance vs roaming.  

Second, when you use Wifi calling anywhere in the world, it is another way to connect to Verizon and you are charged as if you were in the USA.  

So here’s how it works:   If you connected via cellular in Europe you trigger the $10 pass charge.  If you use Wifi to call home, it’s free.  If you use Wifi to call a European number, it’s long distance.  

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Great question, rbwriter1. As long as Wi-Fi Calling is enabled, and activated before you go, you should have no issues with using it. You want to ensure that the device stays in Airplane Mode every time you do not want to enable a TravelPass session. Also, when making any sort of call, or text that is not on Wi-Fi you will enable a TravelPass session, and will only be charged additional if making a call that it out of the country that you're currently in.

CassandraM_VZW

0 Likes
massachusetts123
Enthusiast - Level 3

Hello,  Good info about calling and texts.     May I ask,  Is Data used while in Travel pass?   Is Data used when only in WIFI mode?    (I don't use much but need to follow and understand all this.)

Very appreciated!

0 Likes
AlanTheRover
Enthusiast - Level 1

I’m just testing my ability to reply. 

0 Likes
AlanTheRover
Enthusiast - Level 1

In the last two months I have wasted 4 hours of my life discussing WiFi  calling internationally with Verizon.  It is most confusing.  Here is my understanding, and there is a question at the end:

1) If you have an international plan (and I had the $100/mo plan) then you can make cellular calls to and from the countries in the plan, including of course the country you are visiting.

2) If you have  an international plan you can make WiFi calls TO the US as part of the plan.

3) If you have an international plan and you make WiFi calls while abroad to the country you are visiting (or any other country on the plan that is not the USA) you will get charged at $1.99/minute (depending on the international rate) for that call.  Does that make sense to anyone? Has anyone else had this problem? Please get back to me and let me know  

In what universe does this make logical sense? Have others had this same issue. I searched the Verizon website and found conflicting answers to this, but let me assure you that it seems you need to turn off WiFi calling when traveling abroad on an international plan 

0 Likes