Will I Use My Data If I Check My Email While In Panama?
captjayp
Enthusiast - Level 1

Does checking emails use my data when in panama?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does checking email use my data?
Weth
Legend

Agree. Most email apps have the ability to turn off downloading attachments. Make sure you have that set to not download attachments. 100 MB can send lots of text only emails, but just a few emails with pictures or other attachments.

You will get charged $25 for each additional 100 MB (or part thereof) you use, but that is much better than the no plan $205 per 100 MB rate you would have been charged.

Your other consideration is the $10 per day for TravelPass. That lets you use your current plan in Panama and if you plan to use lots of data, that is a better deal.

View solution in original post

Weth
Legend

Unless you are on wifi it uses roaming data.  If you don't have an international plan, this is very expensive data.  People can run up thousands of dollars doing very little if you don't have an international plan. 

captjayp
Enthusiast - Level 1

So with the $40 international plan , I should

be fine!?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

It's better than nothing, but keep in mind, that international plan does not get you much. You are limited to 100 MB/month before you start incurring overages to the tune of $25/100MB.

If your email has any attachments of note, that can rack up the charges pretty quickly.

Weth
Legend

Agree. Most email apps have the ability to turn off downloading attachments. Make sure you have that set to not download attachments. 100 MB can send lots of text only emails, but just a few emails with pictures or other attachments.

You will get charged $25 for each additional 100 MB (or part thereof) you use, but that is much better than the no plan $205 per 100 MB rate you would have been charged.

Your other consideration is the $10 per day for TravelPass. That lets you use your current plan in Panama and if you plan to use lots of data, that is a better deal.