Will usage on wi-fi count against my international plan?
WALPAC17

Let’s say I purchase the 30 day International Preferred Plan for $40 which gives me 100 MB, 100 outgoing texts (all incoming free), and 100 min calls (in or out).  If I am in a hotel in Europe with free Wi-Fi, will I be able to send text messages, use Facebook, Snapchat, Instagram, etc., without any charge from Verizon?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Wi-Fi Usage
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Text messages use the cellular network so it would count against the international allowance. Anything that is used only on wifi will not count.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

View solution in original post

Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Text messages use the cellular network so it would count against the international allowance. Anything that is used only on wifi will not count.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

Weth
Legend

The only exception to what Ann states are two situations

1) You are using the Message + from Verizon and send texts on this app while on the free wifi.

2) You have a newer phone that uses wifi calling and is in wifi calling mode. Texts sent when in wifi calling mode or calls made to the US while in wifi calling mode are as if you are in the United States.

0 Likes
kcb

I have an iphone 7. How do I set it for Message + Does it automatically default if data is turned off?

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

iPhone 7 supports wifi calling so you do not even need Message +

On iPhone 7, go to Settings / Phone / Wi-Fi Calling. Turn on Wi-Fi Calling on This iPhone and turn on Prefer Wi-Fi while roaming. You will need to add emergency address when you do this the first time, your home address is usually what you would want to put there. Now once that is on, you can put the iPhone in airplane mode and turn on wifi (and bluetooth if you need it) only. You will then get VZW Wi-Fi in the status area where Verizon usually is seen. Now all your calls, text (SMS), multimedia text (MMS), and data will all go through wifi. You won't use any Verizon Data and you can send any type of message.

If you still want to use message plus, you will need to download the Verizon Message+ app and register it to your phone. You can then send messages through Message+ app (not the iPhone Messages built in app) while data turned off and it will automatically go through wifi when data is off.

I like the wifi calling option the best since you can continue to use your built in iPhone messages app.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I would like to add if you do the wifi calling not only can you do text messaging for free, you can call and receive calls from the US for free while you are on wifi calling -- as long as you are in Airplane mode and you see VZW Wi-Fi in the upper left where Verizon usually is, you can be confident you will not be getting charged for any usage or roaming.

Keep in mind calls to the country you are in will be long distance from the USA. When you are in wifi calling mode, you can think of it as sitting in your house using your phone. That is how any long distance would be handled.