hijacked by mexico tower
jojeweto
Enthusiast - Level 1

I spent a few days in southern arizona. didn't go to Mexico. got charged for travelpass. that is wrong. i want a refund but chat line is jammed. must be some other way to contact verizon billing? 

Also, there has to be a way to avoid getting hijacked when I'm near the border, and still use my phone?

Labels (1)
0 Likes
Re: hijacked by mexico tower
jav6
Champion - Level 3

It's called 'Airplane Mode' on or 'Roaming' off or 'Cell data' off.  Or get a plan that covers Mexico and Canada, which is what I did when I moved to northern Vermont. Also, who's to blame if you ignore the warning text from Verizon when approaching/getting signal from a Mexican or Canadian tower?

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
mama23dogs
Legend

@jojeweto wrote:

I spent a few days in southern arizona. didn't go to Mexico. got charged for travelpass. that is wrong. i want a refund but chat line is jammed. must be some other way to contact verizon billing? 

Also, there has to be a way to avoid getting hijacked when I'm near the border, and still use my phone?

Nope.  The charges are valid.   It's up to you to control your phone and prevent roaming.  
Have you done the math on how much the usage would cost you without travel pass?  The pay per use rate might be far more.  
As @jav6  wrote, you could have turned roaming off in settings to prevent your phone from connecting to non Verizon towers.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hello jojeweto,

We hope you enjoyed your trip to southern Arizona! Depending on the exact location, we may not have our own towers providing service to an area. Cellular signals aren't able to be stopped at the border. If you were close to a Mexico cell tower, your phone is capable of picking it up and using service. This would result in a TravelPass session starting. You are always informed when a new session begins. Our community has provided some great options for you to help prevent this in the future. What is the make and model of your phone? What plan are you currently on?

ChristopherM_VZW

0 Likes