travel Pass - what you need to know if going to France or Italy
DEBWORMS

I recently travelled to France and Italy. I had travel pass since I was told that for $10 a day I would be using my home plan, internet, calling, texting.  What actually happened was it didn't work. I only had wifi when I connect on free wifi. When I needed my internet connection (directions, translator ) it didn't work. The lack of service put me in a couple of dangerous situations because I didn't have navigation/maps nor could I ask for help because my translator couldn't connect and work. Verizon said they cant guarantee the quality of the tower connections overseas, but never the less, you still pay the $10. You also pay for every single phone call. Save your money and get the $40 for a month.  I was really unhappy about paying $170 for a service that didn't work except for very spotty for 1 1/2 days. 

0 Likes
Re: travel Pass - what you need to know if going to France or Italy
Weth
Legend

Works perfect for me. What phone did you have. Did you change settings to global? Did you have roaming all turned on?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

DEBWORMS wrote:

I recently travelled to France and Italy. I had travel pass since I was told that for $10 a day I would be using my home plan, internet, calling, texting. What actually happened was it didn't work. I only had wifi when I connect on free wifi. When I needed my internet connection (directions, translator ) it didn't work. The lack of service put me in a couple of dangerous situations because I didn't have navigation/maps nor could I ask for help because my translator couldn't connect and work. Verizon said they cant guarantee the quality of the tower connections overseas, but never the less, you still pay the $10. You also pay for every single phone call. Save your money and get the $40 for a month. I was really unhappy about paying $170 for a service that didn't work except for very spotty for 1 1/2 days.

This story sounds somewhat fishy because you only pay the $10/day on days you actually use the service. If you do not use the service at all on a certain day, there will be no $10 charge for that day. If you only used the service a little for 1.5 days, you would only have been charged $20, not $170.

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

DEBWORMS wrote:

I recently travelled to France and Italy. I had travel pass since I was told that for $10 a day I would be using my home plan, internet, calling, texting. What actually happened was it didn't work. I only had wifi when I connect on free wifi. When I needed my internet connection (directions, translator ) it didn't work. The lack of service put me in a couple of dangerous situations because I didn't have navigation/maps nor could I ask for help because my translator couldn't connect and work. Verizon said they cant guarantee the quality of the tower connections overseas, but never the less, you still pay the $10. You also pay for every single phone call. Save your money and get the $40 for a month. I was really unhappy about paying $170 for a service that didn't work except for very spotty for 1 1/2 days.

You would not be paying for every phone call on travel pass.  It's essentially an all you can eat buffet (up to the limit of your domestic plan) for the 24 hours after you start using your phone.   You only incur a $10 day pass fee if you send or receive a call, send a text or use data.

Looks to me like you had no travel plan and data roaming was off.

International Travel Plan | Verizon Wireless

You should check your account to see if you added the right plan, and contact support   

0 Likes
BRALIE31

Why didn't it work?

0 Likes
DEBWORMS

I have an iPhone 6s and I did have all the correct settings - as told to me my the Verizon tech. Still didn't work.

0 Likes
DEBWORMS

Nope I had the travel pass and all my settings were correct and I DID incur charges, 7 international minutes - $12.53, 9 international messages sent - $4.50, 23 international messages received $1.15. Thats all straight off my bill.  And I am sure the settings were correct because the Verizon tech walked me through all the settings. It did not work as advertised.

0 Likes
DEBWORMS

Verizon told me that they cannot control the quality of the overseas phone towers and connections. Even though it wouldn't connect, Verizon said that they still had to pay the overseas carrier for "rental" of their towers. No idea why iy didn't work. My wifi worked when we were at out lodgings and I was connected to the free wifi there.

0 Likes
DEBWORMS

Every time I tried to connect it counted as "connecting to the internet" even if I did not connect. And Verizon said they have to pay the overseas carrier for "rental" of their towers and have no control over the quality of service. I was depending on the internet for my google maps and my translator so I tried every single day and got charged every single day. And according to my bill I was charged $12.53 for 7 international minutes, $4.50 for 9 international messages sent and $1.15 for 23 international messages received.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

TravelPass does work. I am not sure what happened to you, but by getting those charges, it would appear TravelPass was not set up correctly on your account. Your charges and rates indicate you had pay per use international plan in effect on your account, not the TravelPass. WIth travelpass, when you first connect, you get a confirmatory text message indicating TravelPass is in effect for the next 24 hours. There is no other charges with TravelPass other than the $10 a day charge.

0 Likes