Does using a Jetpack use more data than using my personal hotspot?
FAMLEOF3

I don't use my Jetpack very often because I think it uses up more data more quickly than my personal hotspot. Does somebody know if that's true or not?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Does using a Jetpack use more data than using my personal hotspot?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Does somebody know if that's true or not?

There is no evidence to suggest that the VZW device is directly responsible for your data usage.  It should not matter if you use a hotspot feature on a phone or a Jetpack.  VZW devices will provide internet to whatever devices are requesting it at the time.

What does make a difference is the personal device connecting to the VZW device.  For example smartphones tend to be much more data efficient than desktops and laptops.  Full PCs are not built with the same amount of care for metered data connections as mobile devices like tablets and phones.  Its much easier to consume data on a PC without paying much attention.

The best way to confirm what is consuming your data is to setup a data usage monitor.  Something like Glasswire for PCs is a good place to start.  There are many other options out there depending on your comfort level.

View solution in original post

Re: Does using a Jetpack use more data than using my personal hotspot?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Does somebody know if that's true or not?

There is no evidence to suggest that the VZW device is directly responsible for your data usage.  It should not matter if you use a hotspot feature on a phone or a Jetpack.  VZW devices will provide internet to whatever devices are requesting it at the time.

What does make a difference is the personal device connecting to the VZW device.  For example smartphones tend to be much more data efficient than desktops and laptops.  Full PCs are not built with the same amount of care for metered data connections as mobile devices like tablets and phones.  Its much easier to consume data on a PC without paying much attention.

The best way to confirm what is consuming your data is to setup a data usage monitor.  Something like Glasswire for PCs is a good place to start.  There are many other options out there depending on your comfort level.