How do I change the name of my jetpack so others won't use it?
labnutt

I have the jetpack wifi and someone told me I need to change the name of it to "FBI Surveillance Van so that people would not try to tap onto it. How do I accomplish this?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: I have the jetpack wifi and someone told me I need to change the name to FBI Surveillance Van so others would think twice before using it how do i do it?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Changing the SSID is a good idea, but I do not suggest changing it to something so troll enticing as "FBI Surveillance Van".  A SSID like that is only going to draw attention to you and your network and challenge malicious users to target you.  I advise not putting a target on your back and stick to a custom but not well known SSID.

I normally suggest broadcasting an SSID of something a little less confrontational.  Something like combining your favorite color with your favorite sports team.

All jetpacks are a little different but they should all have a way to sign in and complete configuration changes.  If you connect to your Jetpack and look up the IP Address of your Default Gateway you will know the IP of the Jetpack.  Plug in the IP Address of the Jetpack into a web browser and sign in with the admin password.  Review the security options that are available until you find a SSID or broadcast name or network name field.

While you are at it you should also make sure you have a custom WiFi password configured with WPA2 security.  Custom WiFI passwords are going to be much more helpful than a creative SSID at keeping malicious users off your network.  Rule of thumb for WiFi passwords is the longer the better.

A good tool to evaluate your WiFi password is here (shoot for at least a few years):

www.howsecureismypassword.net

Let us know if you want any other security best practices or tips.

View solution in original post

Re: I have the jetpack wifi and someone told me I need to change the name to FBI Surveillance Van so others would think twice before using it how do i do it?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's look further into this! Which Jetpack do you have? View how to change the network name 4G Jetpack LC11 here http://vz.to/1hD0FBg Thank you.

TominqueBo_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
labnutt

It's MiFi4620L

Lauren

•   G O D B L E S S Y O U  *

'The will of God will never take you where the Grace of God will not protect you.'

JESUS IS THE LIGHTHOUSE!!!!

Private info removed as required by the

Message edited by: Admin Moderator

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Changing the SSID is a good idea, but I do not suggest changing it to something so troll enticing as "FBI Surveillance Van".  A SSID like that is only going to draw attention to you and your network and challenge malicious users to target you.  I advise not putting a target on your back and stick to a custom but not well known SSID.

I normally suggest broadcasting an SSID of something a little less confrontational.  Something like combining your favorite color with your favorite sports team.

All jetpacks are a little different but they should all have a way to sign in and complete configuration changes.  If you connect to your Jetpack and look up the IP Address of your Default Gateway you will know the IP of the Jetpack.  Plug in the IP Address of the Jetpack into a web browser and sign in with the admin password.  Review the security options that are available until you find a SSID or broadcast name or network name field.

While you are at it you should also make sure you have a custom WiFi password configured with WPA2 security.  Custom WiFI passwords are going to be much more helpful than a creative SSID at keeping malicious users off your network.  Rule of thumb for WiFi passwords is the longer the better.

A good tool to evaluate your WiFi password is here (shoot for at least a few years):

www.howsecureismypassword.net

Let us know if you want any other security best practices or tips.