How do I fix my limited connection?
Pamelina
Enthusiast - Level 2

My computer, PC Windows 8.1, constantly gets knocked off the internet and the connection icon shows "Limited".  I have tried changing channels in the settings but nothing seems to take care of the problem.  Anyone have advice on this issue??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Limited connection with WIFI 5510
Pamelina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I solved the problem.  First I did a jetpack reset to factory settings.  Next I connected the jetpack to my computer with Windows 8.1 with the USB cable that comes with the jetpack.  A driver for that tethering downloaded and the jetpack asks if the connection is to tether or charge only.  I chose tether.  That connection shows a new connection under Networks as an Ethernet type.  No more "limited" connections.  All of my other wireless devices that use the wifi still maintain their connection to the jetpack, no problem.  If you don't want to keep an "always on" connection between the computer and jetpack, simply unplug the jetpack's USB from the computer.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> "Knocked off the internet"

This suggests that your Jetpack is dropping its connection to the local towers.  You can improve those problems by improving your signal and either moving closer to the towers or removing obstacles between you and that location.  Boosters/repeaters and whatnot can also help you work around objects to provide service inside a home that is not ideal for cell phone service.

Try testing the Jetpack in multiple locations.  Inside the home by windows, outside the home, in town where service should be good or the next town over where another tower likely serves that area.  Figure out if the problem is location based or not.

>connection icon shows "Limited".

Limited status is a message from Microsoft meaning that they can no longer access their internet checking resources.  Its not a clear cut sign of a problem but it is often a clue that something funky is going on.  You can get limited status messages from lots of scenarios so I don't like to dwell on that one too much for help.

0 Likes
Pamelina
Enthusiast - Level 2

Connection icon shows "Limited".  This is the crux of the problem.  All other devices I have on my jetpack don't lose an internet connection (ie. streaming videos over WiFi television, our HD DVR Direct TV streaming).  The Jetpack always show a solid, strong signal and connection to all connected devices, only my computer with Windows 8.1 gets "Limited".  I constantly have to disconnect the computer from the jetpack and reconnect to establish a new connection that may last a few seconds to a few minutes before going "Limited" again.

0 Likes
Pamelina
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think I solved the problem.  First I did a jetpack reset to factory settings.  Next I connected the jetpack to my computer with Windows 8.1 with the USB cable that comes with the jetpack.  A driver for that tethering downloaded and the jetpack asks if the connection is to tether or charge only.  I chose tether.  That connection shows a new connection under Networks as an Ethernet type.  No more "limited" connections.  All of my other wireless devices that use the wifi still maintain their connection to the jetpack, no problem.  If you don't want to keep an "always on" connection between the computer and jetpack, simply unplug the jetpack's USB from the computer.