How do I set up a wireless printer with security using a Mi-Fi 4620L?
jberick
Enthusiast - Level 2

I am having trouble connecting HP P1102w wireless printer to Verizon Jetpack MiFi 4620L using laptop running Windows 7 32 bit.  Have also tried laptops with Windows 7 64 bit and Windows XP to no avail.  The only way I can get the printer set up is by turning off all security on the 4620L - the printer then quickly connects and completes the wireless setup.

Suggestions in other discussions included trying WAP vs WAP2 and 802.11g + 802.11b mode vs 802.11b + 802.11g + 802.11n mode.  I have tried both of those to no avail.  I have also tried locating the Jetpack at various locations and distances form the printer.

I was successful in setting up the printer on my home network with my Linksys router (WEP security),  so the problem must be with the 4620L Jetpack.

Does anyone have any suggestions for me to try?  Are there other settings on the 4620L that affect the ability to set up wireless printing with security?

Thanks in advance for any help.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Problem setting up wireless printer with security using MiFi 4620L
jberick
Enthusiast - Level 2

John Getzke,

Thanks for your help.

FYI, I did resolve my problem by performing a hard reset of the MiFi 4620L Jetpack.  Then I was able to setup as follows:

MiFi security setting:  WPA/WPA2 Personal Mixed Mode (WPA2 failed)

Windows 7 PC wireless security setting for MiFi:  WPA2 Personal

HP P1102w printer security setting: WPA/WPA2 (the only choice for a WPA setting in setup)

Using WPA Personal security on the MiFi and the PC worked as well.

Unless use recommend otherwise I plan to use the WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode.

Thanks again,

John <Full name removed for privacy.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

This might be a better question for the HP forums but lets give it a shot here anyways.  Can you capture and post the error message that the HP installation software is giving you?  If we can determine what the printer is complaining about we should be able to focus this down much better for you.

That being said...

The MiFi 4620L will act like any other home router when it comes to wireless printers.  All you need to know is the Wireless SSID, password and the type of security being used by the MiFi to get the initial connection going.  Considering what you have posted I would assume your problem is a wireless security/password problem which is causing your MiFi to reject connections from the printer.  These are the only settings that should matter for your situation.

You should try to use WPA2 whenever possible.  WPA is OK and WEP is trash, you might as well leave it open if that is your only option.

The User Manual for the P1102w does not specifically mention supporting WPA or WPA2.  However, it does mention supporting WEP on Mac's for some reason (Page 20):
http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01695231.pdf

HP Wireless Troubleshooting Steps:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c02847467&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=4110396#N34...

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I'll answer one of my own suspicions.  The HP Printer model you posted only supports WEP and WPA.  Looks like WPA2 will not be an option for you : (.

0 Likes
jberick
Enthusiast - Level 2

When setup starts, it does find the network and allows me to check the credentials.  However after "attempting wireless connection with the printer" runs for several minutes the following message appears:  "The printer was unable to connect to the wireless network using the wireless credentials that were provided.  To verify the wireless credentials, please click back."  This message is received even after I changed the security to WPA Personal.

0 Likes
jberick
Enthusiast - Level 2

John Getzke,

Thanks for your help.

FYI, I did resolve my problem by performing a hard reset of the MiFi 4620L Jetpack.  Then I was able to setup as follows:

MiFi security setting:  WPA/WPA2 Personal Mixed Mode (WPA2 failed)

Windows 7 PC wireless security setting for MiFi:  WPA2 Personal

HP P1102w printer security setting: WPA/WPA2 (the only choice for a WPA setting in setup)

Using WPA Personal security on the MiFi and the PC worked as well.

Unless use recommend otherwise I plan to use the WPA/WPA2 Mixed Mode.

Thanks again,

John <Full name removed for privacy.>

Message was edited by: Verizon Moderator

0 Likes
jberick
Enthusiast - Level 2

T hank you, I did not realize that full names didn't show when I was not logged in.

On another note, I've been trying to change my email address for the community forum to the same one on my personal verizon wireless account.  When I go to my profile  in the forum , the email cannot be edited .  Do the two need to be linked and if so, how can I do that?  Or is there another way to accomplish this?

Sincerely, John    

0 Likes