How does a MiFi work? Is it data or WiFi?
SMHAZELNUT

I want to understand how MiFi works and what it costs. I saw one that acts like WiFi, and the screen specifically says "No data." So if it's WiFi, which network is it connecting to? And how does it not use data?

Tags (1)
0 Likes
Re: How does a MiFi work? Is it data or WiFi?
jav6
Champion - Level 3

"A MiFi taps into 3G or 4G mobile phone networks and uses this connection to create a mini wireless broadband cloud. This can then be shared between mobile internet-enabled devices, such as mobile phones, laptops, netbooks and even games consoles, that are within range of its signal."

It uses cell data to create a local WiFi for you.  The devices connected to your MiFi would show WiFi (no cell data) but your MiFi device would be using cell data.

See Mobile Hotspot FAQs | Verizon Wireless

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Re: How does a MiFi work? Is it data or WiFi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you know the difference between each service and what it provides. I would want to know what the differences are as well. With regard to the MiFi service here is a link which explains what a MiFi connection is https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/mobile-hotspot-faqs/. I hope this helps. 

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes