How does a MiFi work? Is it data or WiFi?
SMHAZELNUT

I want to understand how MiFi works and what it costs. I saw one that acts like WiFi, and the screen specifically says "No data." So if it's WiFi, which network is it connecting to? And how does it not use data?

0 Likes
Re: How does a MiFi work? Is it data or WiFi?
jav6
Champion - Level 3

"A MiFi taps into 3G or 4G mobile phone networks and uses this connection to create a mini wireless broadband cloud. This can then be shared between mobile internet-enabled devices, such as mobile phones, laptops, netbooks and even games consoles, that are within range of its signal."

It uses cell data to create a local WiFi for you.  The devices connected to your MiFi would show WiFi (no cell data) but your MiFi device would be using cell data.

See Mobile Hotspot FAQs | Verizon Wireless

...Just another VZW customer...trying to offer some assistance...
0 Likes
Re: How does a MiFi work? Is it data or WiFi?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure you know the difference between each service and what it provides. I would want to know what the differences are as well. With regard to the MiFi service here is a link which explains what a MiFi connection is https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/mobile-hotspot-faqs/. I hope this helps. 

JasperM_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the �Correct Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes