Inseego MiFi X PRO 5G UW M3100 hotspot - VZW please report this to product team - Severe packet loss on 5GHz WiFi, and other minor suspected bugs
LagunaJim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Received a new M3100 the other day and updated to the latest firmware THN-1.29.1.2 1 [2022-07-29 00:16:49].

After hours and hours of testing I've determined that there's something up with the 5GHz side of the WiFi.  Any device connecting via 5GHz suffers severe packet loss - over 10% - on both ipv4 and ipv6.  2.4GHz sees zero packet loss, and on 2.4GHz the connection to the outside world is solid.

Additional bugs: 

1) While watching the diagnostic page, the SNR value updates on the fly but the RSRP value does not update until page is refreshed.

2)  Saved and Restored config files don't restore custom ip address settings saved in the config.  After a restore, the web gui shows the restored ip information correctly but the device is still using the default 192.168.1.1 anyway.  Overwriting the fields with the same data again and saving gets the desired result.

3) After performing a manual "check for updates" the 'Last check for update' field does not update until the screen is refreshed.

I'll add further comments as my testing of the new device continues.

0 Likes
Re: Inseego MiFi X PRO 5G UW M3100 hotspot -
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing that information! Please keep us posted.

-Jordan

LagunaJim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

Update:  I'm happy to report that the 5GHz wifi issue I reported may be limited to poor automatic choosing by the device of channels to use.  By manually selecting a broadcast channel that is not so overused in my location I'm able to improve the 5GHz wifi connection over allowing it to automatically select a channel.

So please do pass on the other bugs/suggestions I made, and thank you!!

The speeds on this product are great -- better even than the previous "Orbic 5G Speed" and the "M2100" before that.  I'm one of those users that always has the latest-and-greatest hardware, since I  live full-time in a motorhome and depend entirely on my hotspot for my heavy internet access.

I'm sure another firmware update will come out before too long addressing issues found now that the device has been released -- each new device gets 2-3 updates within the first few months of release 🙂

One more suggestion:  increase the timeout before the device logs you out of the web gui.  Frustrating to have to log back in all the time.

0 Likes
LagunaJim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE:  IPv6 traffic seems to stop when the M3100 changes cell network channels.

For instance, if the device is connected via B66 (4G LTE) and then it changes to B5 (4G LTE), ipv6 traffic ceases.  To get ipv6 back I need to disconnect and reconnect my client (pc) to the M3100 on the wifi side.

0 Likes
LagunaJim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE:  Overall ipv6 traffic is spotty, even between clients and the M3100.  It may be the case that ipv6 from the M3100 to the cell network is spotty, but it also crashes it between the client and the M3100.

0 Likes
LagunaJim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

UPDATE:  So I've turned off the ipv6 protocol entirely on the M3100 under Advanced->LAN and it's now functioning SO MUCH BETTER.

Before there was significant loss packets on both ipv4 and ipv6, and my client pc network adapter would reset and reconnect on occasion.

Now with ipv6 turned off smooth as silk.

Please fix the ipv6 in a future firmware update 🙂

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for keeping us on the loop. We want to make sure you can use your services. Are you having issue with the connection or is everything back up running?

~Gina

0 Likes
LagunaJim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

In order to make the device reliable I have to DISABLE "ipv6" - I really would like that passed on to the developers for this product.

Thanks/jim

0 Likes
LagunaJim1
Enthusiast - Level 1

..it runs for nearly two hours fine on ipv6, and then both ipv4 and ipv6 traffic crash hard - no throughput for about 30 seconds..  then it resets and its fine again for nearly two hours.

With ipv6 disabled constant testing over 24 hours is just fine.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Having the informaiton we need is important; can you tell us more about the situation? Share details. We are here to help! -Evelyn

0 Likes