Jetpack 4620 Quit Working (USB tether, no SSID Broadcast)
ccclife

Been using the device just fine for 1.5 years, no issues.  Purchased a new mac, tried to tether over USB, not connecting.  Now the device won't even broadcast an SSID.  When I connect the USB, it just sits there.  I have restored to factory 3X, turned off/on the "do not broadcast ID" settings, etc, even tried no security.  I was finally able to tether to a windows machine, but still cannot get the device to tether to a mac, or broadcast an SSID.  Please Help! 

0 Likes
Re: Jetpack 4620 Quit Working (USB tether, no SSID Broadcast)
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Sounds like your Jetpack is pretty messed up.  I would contact VZW and have them run you through your replacement options.  If the device is still covered by warranty then they will likely send you a new one for the problems you reported here.

On a side note, USB tethering requires drivers.  If your PCs are not connecting over USB then you should attempt to re-download and install those drivers to see if you can get it working again.  While the Jetpack is in USB tether mode most will disable thier wireless functionality and act more like a traditional USB modem.  Considering your device is not re-enabling its broadcast even after multiple resets that points to a hardware failure.

0 Likes
ccclife

I contacted verizon, their "escalation process" points to a bad SIM card.  Going to a Corp store for a free new one, and testing it before I leave.  I don't know how it would be the SIM card if I can tether off a windows machine without issue.  I still think hardware, but I have to play the game.  Thanks for the help! 

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  I still think hardware, but I have to play the game.

Yup, we are all in the same boat when it comes to VZW support.  Support reps will refer to the default troubleshooting steps for anything they have not heard about before.  I'm with you in assuming this has nothing to do with the SIM.  Help them check that step off their list and get onto the hardware replacement as soon as you can.

Be sure to get yourself an incident/case number incase you are ever left waiting for a response from someone.  VZW follow-up calls are fairly rare despite their good intentions.  Set a date to be contacted by and then contact VZW for an update.  This will help you pick up where you left off without having to go through all the steps again.

0 Likes