Jetpack AC791L firmware 02.08.61.00 fails to download
quirkyguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

The newest firmware version 02.08.61.00 for the  Jetpack AC791L fails to download.

I have tried several times over a couple weeks, but it fails everytime at the beginning of the 0% download, as it is not a verified update?

Is this update corrupted? Or is it just me?

0 Likes
Re: Jetpack AC791L firmware 02.08.61.00 fails to download
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Firmware 02.08.61.00 is a verified update:

Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE Mobile Hotspot AC791L Software Update | Verizon Wireless

Verizon doesn't have an external download option for this model and firmware update.  You will have to contact Verizon and work with tech support to get your device updated. If the device is unable to update on its own then Verizon will have to provide you with a replacement device.  Firmware related problems can often justify device swaps even when your warranty has expired so its worth it to call Verizon and speak with a support rep on this one.

0 Likes
quirkyguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

Solution:  After doing a factory reset and the firmware download failed...

I changed a defaulted "Settings/Network Technology: Global (default)"  TO "LTE/CDME" and the firmware download WORKED and device rebooted with new Firmware 02.08.61.00

ERNWOL8

I have the same problem and try your resolution, but it did not work.  Did you do a factory reset, then the update, then the network configuration change, and then the update again? 

In the beginning, I also tried a factory reset which also did not work.  Verizon shipped me a replacement and the download failed as well.  So I am curious why your network setting change worked for you and not for me.  Should I have done a factory reset, changed the network settings, and then have tried to download the update and waited to change passwords, device name?

I suppose I am asking is what were your exact steps?  I sure would like to know. 

Thanks.

0 Likes
DOUREE90

Greetings.

I am having the same firmware upgrade issue with my AC791L.  A week or so ago, I had an online chat with a tech which did not resolve the issue.  The tech ended up suggesting it might resolve itself.  Tonight I had another online chat with a tech who was very helpful, but failed to find a solution.  This last tech submitted a ticket with their network team.  The tech said the network team's response time was 48-72 hours.  I have done everything suggested here and more, to no avail.  The fact that there are others having the same issue will hopefully help me when I communicate with whomever contacts me.  I find it interesting that ERNWOL8's  replacement device had the same issue.  My device is most certainly out of warranty and I am not under contract.  I was told my device would not accept the firmware update and that I needed to purchase another model.  Smiley Happy  I have asked for a link to download the update file to my computer, but was told it was not available.

I will post anything of substance that I learn regarding this issue.

Hope that you all can follow what I have written as I have been up all night playing with it.

Thanks.

0 Likes
quirkyguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did the factory reset.

Upon rebooting, the AC791L appears to check if new firmware is available. 

It reported:

Update Error

an update error occurred.

Then I changed "Settings/Network Technology: Global (default)"  to  "LTE/CDME"

Then I did a "Software Update/Check Now"

I saw the download progress bar reporting software was being downloaded.

0 Likes
ERNWOL8

Thanks for responding quirkguy.  I expected to get an email notice, so I am a couple of days late.  I will try your steps tomorrow.

This afternoon  I was back on the phone to tech support bumped up to the next tech support representative.  The only resolution was to send a replacement device.  I explained the I have already received a replacement which has the same problem, but there is no other option.  So I agreed to have another AC791L sent.  I expect it to fail as well.  Perhaps Verizon should ship me a replacement on a daily basis and then somebody might get the picture and actually take the time to resolve the problem.  I opine that a simple solution would be to have the update available for downloading to a computer.  The web-based administration system allows updating the Jetpack from a saved file, but there is no file accessible to download to a computer.  I wonder why?

One other quick I have noticed when checking for updates, sometimes I get the message that 'the software is up to date' and other times I see the message that an update is available.  Has anyone else experienced this?

Anyhow I will try your steps tomorrow (which I believe I have already did) and see what happens.

0 Likes
ERNWOL8

Just to keep you up to date, I followed your steps and I still cannot get the AC791L to update.  Actually it took 3 "Check Updates" and 1 restart just to get the darn thing to recognize an update was available.  I do not know why it worked for you Quirkguy….you must have been lucky.  Anyhow I will continue making friends at Verizon Technical support until this issue is resolved.

0 Likes
DOUREE90

Greetings.

I have not yet received a response from their network team.

I have repeated QuirkGuy's process several times with no success.  If needed, I may try it again when my bandwidth increases at the beginning of the next cycle in 8 days.  Hopefully there will be a resolution by then.  Smiley Happy

I am seeing the same messages as you ERNWOL8.  Pretty weird.  The device is obviously trying to update itself.

I have gotten a number of different answers and solutions from the two techs thus far.

My opinion is that the software file does exist somewhere.  Whether or not any of us will ever see it is questionable.  The fact that there is an option on the Admin page to upload and install the firmware from a file is telling.  When I speak next to a Verizon tech, I am going to press that the file be made available.  I am going to continue to escalate the issue until I get a solution in place.

I had a few contacts within Verizon that I may attempt to utilize if necessary, but it has been several years since I worked with them.

Isn't the AC791L still the top MiFi that Verizon sells?

Thanks for the input.

Take care.

0 Likes
ERNWOL8

Hello Everyone,

Received my second Netgear AC791L replacement today and no surprise; pretty much the same problem.  Once it started up I went to check for updates and it just kept on checking and checking and checking, etc.  Finally, I had to turn it off and restart it.   After the second restart, it displayed the message that the update failed.  Then I followed quirkguy's steps optimistically and no update was downloaded.  I have already made arrangements to speak to tech support on Wednesday.  I hope that I get the same tech.  I find it annoying now to get a new a tech each time.  I am getting tired of regaling the same tale over and over again.

I would like to speak to someone who tested the update.  I would like to know how they got the update to install on the Jetpack.

Nonetheless, I will report what happens after my telephone call on Wednesday.  Hopefully there will a solution then

0 Likes