Re: Jetpack AC791L firmware 02.08.61.00 fails to download
ERNWOL8

Last Update???

Technical Support failed to get any of the AC791Ls to update the firmware.  That includes the original and two replacements.  Verizon is now replacing my Jetpack with a different model, a Novatel MiFi 7730L. During this episode, I developed two questions: 1) the person or persons that developed the update, how did they get it on the AC791L for testing? and 2) why not send me a replacement with the firmware update installed?  All three of the AC791Ls came with 02.08.59.00 firmware version.  The Tech Support agent could not answer these questions.

DOUREE90...sorry to give you the bad news.  You may never get your device to update.

QuirkyGuy...I feel you were awfully lucky to get your device updated.  Maybe you should buy a lottery ticket.

Should anyone else be able to get the AC791L updated to 02.08.61.00, I would like to learn about it.

0 Likes
DOUREE90

ERNWOL8:  Thanks for the update.  I had already considered that possibility.  However, I am certainly not buying a new unit to replace something that still works.  I am not yet done with them.  I will try again updating when my bandwidth cycle begins anew (2 days) and see what happens.  Then I will contact them again.  I have no doubt they couldn't answer those questions.  I will not stop at the bottom of the tech hierarchy.  I intend to drive this issue up as far as I am able.  Any information I obtain will be posted here.  It might be a time, but what the heck, I'm retired.  Smiley Happy

Take care.

0 Likes
ERNWOL8

I do not think bandwidth is the problem.  On the 3 devices I attempted to update there was penty of bandwidth available.  One of the tech support people I spoke to suggested to connect the device to my home WiFi and download that way.  It made sense at the time, however there were no specific instructions how to do this.  I had no way of telling the AC791L to connect to my home WiFi let alone how to enter a password.  I tried bridging the home WiFi and the Jetpack, but still no success getting the update. 

I believe that there is someone at Verizon who knows how to solve the update problem, but finding this person seems to be difficult.

Let me know should you have success.

0 Likes
DOUREE90

ERNWOLD8:

Greetings.  Yesterday I called Verizon regarding an unrelated issue.  I just happened to get one of their managers.  She was very helpful and ended up connecting me to a very helpful Tier 2 technician.  While speaking with him, I addressed the update issue.  In a nutshell, this is what he said.

*This is a known issue with "some" of the AC791L's.

*Verizon has been communicating with Netgear about this issue since January 2018.

*They do not have access to the update file.

*The current situation is to either get another device or to ignore the update.  He suggested a 7730L.

So, I was told essentially what you were told.

I am going to continue attempting to update the device.  Perhaps the cosmic tumblers will align in time.  Smiley Happy  It could be a simple glitch somewhere that may eventually be discovered and corrected.  Verizon is definitely not immune from this sort of thing.

Since I purchase my devices and do not contract services, I will not be changing devices anytime soon.  Unless of course the one I have dies.

While this may not be of interest to any of you, he also told me Verizon will be pulling the plug on 1X and 3G on 31 December 2019.  Unfortunately it will effect me.

If I have any more news, I will post it here.

Many thanks and take care.

0 Likes
DOUREE90

Greetings to all!

I had not attempted to update the software since September.  Today I was on the web interface and decided to try again.  The update downloaded smoothly and installed without a hitch.  My AC791L now has the 02.08.61.00 software.

Since there was no change on my end, I am assuming that Verizon or Netgear finally got there act together.

Give it a try and let us all know how it goes.

Take care and good luck.

0 Likes