Jetpack + home network: use cantenna router? or what?
Kentuckienne
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just replaced my cantenna (LTE Installed) service with a Jetpack. The Cantenna was an antenna connected by coax to a wireless router, and all the home devices connected to that router. I need to keep a separate home network for file sharing and printing but I don't want the Jetpack on all the time. I turn it off when I can to prevent any devices from inadvertently downloading updates etc. I don't see how to connect to both networks at once. What's the simplest way to do this? Is there an ethernet adapter for the Jetpack to connect directly to the old router? Do I have to set up bridging? Or is there some easier solution?

0 Likes
Re: Jetpack + home network: use cantenna router? or what?
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

It's important you're able to connect your devices to manage the content needed, Kentuckienne. Unfortunately, you would not be able to connect both. The Jetpack can't be connected to the cantenna. You can learn more about the Jetpack here, http://spr.ly/6583Dtl9h.

Danielle_VZW
Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kentuckienne
Enthusiast - Level 1

Um, I don't want to connect the Jetpack to the cantenna. But the cantenna had a separate wireless router that connected it to the rest of the home network, and it seems that I should be able to connect the same devices to that same wireless router, with the Cantenna coax disconnected, and share a tethered Jetpack ...

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Kentuckienne, thanks for the clarification and I would like to clear up the details regarding how your Jetpack can be connected. I know it's important we're on the same page here. The Jetpack acts as it's own stand-alone internet connection. There is no option to broadcast the Jetpack internet connection with the Cantenna Router that you have. If your Cantenna has been replaced by the Jetpack, the Cantenna Black Router cannot be used in any way, shape or form at this point. The Cantenna is a home solution that required the wireless router, whereas the Jetpack is more of a mobile unit you can take anywhere with you. The Jetpack cannot be used with any other device or router to transmit the connection/signal. I hope this helps clear up the details. 

Your Jetpack should have the option of multiple connections running at one time and needs to be in range for all your other devices to pickup the signal. What's the exact model number of the Jetpack you purchased? 

AlanS_VZW
If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
Kentuckienne
Enthusiast - Level 1

The problem I'm trying to solve is that I have a home network with a shared printer. I have no problem connecting multiple devices to the Jetpack. Yesterday I set up an ASUS wifi router and created a network that all the computers/phones can join. When connected to the router, file sharing works, and everybody can print. When connected to the Jetpack, everyone can get to the internet but nobody can print. I can't connect to both devices at once. That's why I was hoping to bridge the Jetpack to the router, so that both internet and printing can work at the same time. Right now I have to print to PDF, disconnect from Jetpack, connect to router, print, disconnect from router, go back to Jetpack ... and it's a hassle. I read somewhere about bridging the router in - and I did give up on using the Verizon router that was attached to the cantenna. The only other approach I can think of is to keep one computer on all the time, tether the Jetpack to it by USB, and share that internet connection. I hate having a computer on all the time, especially as I like to turn them off so they don't inadvertently use data.

I appreciate you taking the time to help me understand this - I'm sure other people will have the same problem in the future and it's good to get everything documented and resolved in a single thread. Any advice on how I can have internet, file sharing, and printing simultaneously?

Oh, and it's a Netgear AC791L

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for providing that information.  To clarify, what happens when you try to print while connected to the Jetpack?  Your printer has WiFi capabilities as it works with the ASUS router correct?  What type of printer and computer are you using with these networks?  Unfortunately most computers will not allow the capability to be connected to more than one network at a time.  The only solution may be to switch the WiFi network that your computer is connected to when needed.  Luckily, this should only take a few seconds on the computer when selecting your network connection.  However, we want to make sure we have all the details to be sure.

Sean_VZW

0 Likes
Kentuckienne
Enthusiast - Level 1

Well, that's brilliant. I ask how to connect the Jetpack to the home network so both internet and printing are available at the same time.  I explain that they are currently on two separate wifi networks and only one can be connected at a time. You explain back to me that I can't connect to two networks at once (which I just said) and to just switch back and forth (when I explained that it's a hassle to print from online - like an email attachment or web form) and switching doesn't work. I don't know how to clarify it more than that. HOW DO I CONNECT THE JETPACK TO MY ROUTER SO IT CAN BE SHARED BY THE SAME DEVICES THAT WOULD CONNECT TO IT DIRECTLY OVER WIFI? I have seen people mention configuring the router as a bridge and foolishly thought that I might get more specific advice on how to do that.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

>  HOW DO I CONNECT THE JETPACK TO MY ROUTER SO IT CAN BE SHARED BY THE SAME DEVICES THAT WOULD CONNECT TO IT DIRECTLY OVER WIFI?

You are looking for a Wireless Bridge.  This is a feature of many home routers.  When its not a build in feature it can often be added by loading custom firmware to a given home router (at the users own risk).

> I have seen people mention configuring the router as a bridge and foolishly thought that I might get more specific advice on how to do that.

There are lots of guides out there on how to configure and setup a wireless bridge.  The steps will require knowledge of your specific home router model and version number.  Then check your manufactures websites for user guides and tip sheets on how to complete the process for that model.

Generally speaking you need to accomplish the following:

1. Wirelessly connect the home router to the Jetpack, should be a normal wifi connection if this functionality is supported by your home router.

2. Configure the Jetpack to be the Default Gateway of the home network

3. Decide if you want DHCP to run on the Jetpack or the home router.  Letting DHCP run on the Jetpack will cause your home devices on DHCP to fail when the Jetpack is removed.  Letting DHCP run on the home network will cause your Jetpack to fail when connecting clients when the Jetpack has been removed from the home network.  Pick one or the other so that there is only one DHCP service on the network at a time.

Many products are marketed as a Wireless Bridge and offer simple guides on how to complete the connection:

How to extend your network with a Wireless Bridge | D-Link

There are also many generic guides on the subject:

Reuse an old router to bridge devices to your wireless network - CNET

How to Turn an Old Router Into a Wireless Bridge

And some model specific guides:

What is bridge mode and how do I set it up on my NETGEAR router? | Answer | NETGEAR Support

Configuring an Access Point as a Wireless Bridge

Let us know if you have any more specific questions.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Jetpacks don’t come with an option to connect to another Wi-Fi network. We understand that others may have possibly found a way to create this bridge that you need over two Wi-Fi networks however this is something that we don’t support directly from our end. Third party applications available or alternative software will need to be worked through those providers directly. Thank you for your patience with this matter.

Abraham_VZW

0 Likes