My MiFi 5510L won't connect to my notebook adapter (XP). Any solution?
sstarke703
Enthusiast - Level 1

My new MiFi 5510L works just great on my Windows 7 laptop and tablet, but I also need to connect it to my Omnibook XE3 with XP. I have a Linksys Wireless-G notebook adapter for the laptop, that worked just great with Straight Talk but will not work with the MiFi. I like Verizon better than Straight Talk and prefer to stay with it if I can get it to work with all my devices. Is there a way to get the Linksys to work, or another wireless adapter fpr XP that WILL work, or another way to connect the MiFi to this computer? I see XP drivers on the Verizon website, but they evidently require USB tethering. Also, I oculd not download them on the XP computer itself but would have to put them on a thumb drive, since this is my only Internet connection and, duh, it doesn't WORK! Can I do that? Help appreciated, even if it's just to know you had the same problem! (PS: Tried Verizon support, they gave up.)

0 Likes
Re: My MiFi 5510L won't connect to my notebook adapter (XP). Any solution?
smith6612
Community Leader
Community Leader

How new is the driver for your Linksys Wi-Fi adapter? Are you able to connect the computer to Wi-Fi networks supporting WPA2 Encryption? The Wi-Fi Hotspots Verizon hands out use WPA2 Encryption for maximum performance and security. Some older Wireless G adapters have problems with WPA2.

Another note, if your copy of Windows XP isn't at least Windows XP Service Pack 2, you'll need to download the latest Service Pack from Windows Update. I would suggest doing this at a public hotspot since the update is half a Gigabyte big.

Word of warning with Windows XP, it's been unsupported for a couple of years now. Unless you are telling Microsoft that your copy of XP is Embedded, it hasn't been receiving security updates for a few years now. Software support is also going away. I would recommend trying to move to something in support like Windows 10. That is better than any Anti-virus.

0 Likes