My device is stuck in update mode even though the update is finished. What should I do?
pegleggedpirate
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Mifi 4260L that when connecting to the internet the other day, the Mifi page came up and said "Download of software completed" and the only option is to install the update.  However this did nothing every time, even letting it sit there to "install".  So I did the manual firmware update via usb tether.  The current firmware on the device is 3.30.13.  Even after doing the manual install, it still gives me the "Download of software completed" page.  I cannot get into the Admin settings, I can't get on the internet.  The Mifi shows it has a signal and is working.

I have already tried:

1) Hard Reset

2) Removing the Sim and Battery overnight

3) 3 Different Computers

I can't for the life of me get this thing to work.  Any suggestions?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Mifi 4260L Stuck in update mode - but already updated
pegleggedpirate
Enthusiast - Level 1

After chatting with tech support, they determined that the units firmware got corrupted at some point and is stuck thinking there is an update, even though I was able to successfully install the latest via USB tether.  I got a new unit overnighted, updated the firmware, and everything is back to normal.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Contact VZW support or visit a store for a in house swap.  A bad firmware update can only be resolved by reflashing the firmware or swapping the device.  If you are still covered by the warranty then VZW should be able to do this for you for free.

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

I have been informed that there are steps for this that require it to be tethered to the computer.  The procedure was sent from a VZW tech but once the instructions were followed and it didn't work, another tech could not confirm the pecking order of the procedure but it may be worth a shot to try.  I will post what we were told to do.

Plug the jetpack into the computer

Remove the battery

Press and hold the power button until the screen displays "Software update complete".

Now it hasn't worked thus far for us but there may be a change in the sequence is needed such as remove battery and plug in or hold down the button for longer than we have or maybe make sure it's powered down first I am not sure.

Also, Novatel has sent this as a way to manually update the device and I will post the instructions. Maybe one of these will help. 

Requirements:

• Windows XP SP3, Vista, 7.
  • Mac OS X 10.5+

List of Equipment:

• USB cable
  • A host system that has a USB port and supports one of the above listed operating systems, and on which the user has the privileges to download and run executable files.

Hosting website:

DUU: http://production.4620.verizon.mifiupdates.com/Windows/MiFi4620LWin_updt.zip

Drivers: http://production.4620.verizon.mifiupdates.com/Windows/MiFi4620LWin.zip

Pre-requisites:

The upgrade package can only be run on Windows (XP/Vista/7) or Mac OS X 10.5+ based PC or Laptop. PC or Laptop running other OS cannot be used to run the upgrade utility. Additionally, Tablet devices based on Android, iOS or similar cannot be used to run the upgrade utility.

The user needs a USB cable to connect the MiFi device to the host computer system.

The host computer system on which the user is downloading the software update package needs to have a USB port. This typically would mean a PC or a laptop.

The user should have administrator privileges on the host system so that they can download and run executable files.

Instructions for Windows

1. Connect the host computer or laptop to the internet (using the MiFi or any alternate means)

2. Click on the following links to download the DUU and the Driver Installer and save them on the host computer

3. .Navigate to the downloaded Driver Installer, and double-click to execute it.

4. Click Next initiate the driver installation

5. Select the I accept the terms in the license agreement radio button, and click Next.    

6.Click Install

7. This will install the driver on the host computer.

8.Click Finish to complete the installation.

9. Navigate to the downloaded Device Update Utility, extract and run the DUU application.

10.Connect the MiFi4620L/LE device to the computer using the USB cable. The USB connector of the USB cable plugs into the host system’s USB port and the micro USB connector of the USB cable plugs into the micro USB port on the MiFi4620L/LE device.

11.Navigate to the downloaded Device Update Utility, extract and run the DUU application.

12.The following messages will appear. Please read and then click OK.

13.This initiates the Device Upgrade Utility. Click Next to proceed

14.Read the License Agreement, select the I agree radio button, and click Next.

15.This initiates the Software upgrade on the device. Wait for the upgrade to complete

16. Once the Software upgrade is complete click on Finish to exit the DUU

17. Unplug the MiFi device from the USB cable for normal operation

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

pegleggedpirate,

We definitely need to get this up and running for you, we're here to the rescue! I appreciate you trying those steps to remedy this, however, since the MiFi does not seem to be responding, we'll need to try the hard reset again. Please follow these steps http://bit.ly/NzIxfs and keep us posted on the outcome.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
pegleggedpirate
Enthusiast - Level 1

After chatting with tech support, they determined that the units firmware got corrupted at some point and is stuck thinking there is an update, even though I was able to successfully install the latest via USB tether.  I got a new unit overnighted, updated the firmware, and everything is back to normal.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Glad to hear your working again. 

Firmware issues are normally taken care of with minimum fuss.  Its one of the few things VZW support can consistently do without a lot of confusion or troubleshooting steps.   

0 Likes