Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Open NAT on MSH291L
StepDab

So I recently purchased a jetpack (pantech MSH291L) for Internet at my house in the middle of no where and ran into your typical "strict NAT on Verizon" problems. After doing all the reading up I realized the only way to get a clear NAT without buying a router or using a VPN would be to get a public facing static IP from Verizon.

So that's what I did. The change has gone through and I now have a static IP but my NAT is still strict. I'm not sure if I need to mess with the LAN settings and change the scope of my DHCP or if I'm just missing something but I was under the impression that I wouldn't need to mess with anything for it to be open.

Thanks for the help

0 Likes
Re: Open NAT on MSH291L
7e18n1

A static IP address allows your Verizon device (Jetpack) to be seen from the internet. Your Jetpack still has a built-in firewall that restricts internet traffic. You may have to specify what gets around those restrictions. Typically, you do that with a feature called Port Forwarding.    

You can also use the DMZ to open all communications to the specified private IP address, but you need to be careful with the DMZ.

StepDab

Thanks for the reply!

I forgot to mention I tried port forwarding and DMZ before switching to a static IP. Then last night after I got the static IP I tried DMZ with the IP of an xbox and still had a strict NAT. I will try the port forwarding again  this evening, but the fact that DMZ made no difference has me feeling a little discouraged.

7e18n1

Try using the Reset button on the Jetpack to start fresh so it clears out the Jetpack’s RAM and reloads the public static IP address. Then configure Port Forwarding or the DMZ and be sure to restart the Xbox. It might be helpful to delete the existing wireless profile on the Xbox and then reconnect to the Jetpack to create a new wireless profile.

You should configure the Xbox with a static IP address. Your Jetpack uses the IP addresses 192.168.1.2 to 192.168.1.254. Only some of these IP addresses are controlled by the Jetpack’s DHCP Server (DHCP Range or Pool). Use an IP address that is NOT controlled by the Jetpack’s DHCP Server.