Poor design or glitch by design
Cavale
Enthusiast - Level 1

Re Jetpack usage - Has anyone else noticed that when sharing Jetpack wifi as a LAN all data that is strictly client to client (i.e. Wifi connected printer or device to device sharing) counts as download bandwidth usage even if there is NO ACTUAL DOWNLOAD usage.  The Jetpack calculates usage for ALL DATA SENT THROUGH DEVICE even if no WAN DATA is used. This is just wrong. Verizon sells me a device and data plan and also charges me for device to device data is fraudulent. Anyone else see this churning happening?

0 Likes
Re: Poor design or glitch by design
Cavale
Enthusiast - Level 1

Re Jetpack usage - Has anyone else noticed that when sharing Jetpack wifi as a LAN all data that is strictly client to client (i.e. Wifi connected printer or device to device sharing) counts as download bandwidth usage even if there is NO ACTUAL DOWNLOAD usage.  The Jetpack calculates usage for ALL DATA SENT THROUGH DEVICE even if no WAN DATA is used. This is just wrong. Verizon sells me a device and data plan and also charges me for device to device data is fraudulent. Anyone else see this churning happening?

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Cavale,

Thanks for reaching out. We definitely want to be sure we are processing any usage correctly. Could you please elaborate on what you are experiencing? Is the jetpack turned off? Are devices always connected to it? What usage should your devices be using when not using the jetpack?

SandyS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

0 Likes
Cavale
Enthusiast - Level 1

Thanks Sandy

For the test- The Jetpack is on and is connected to 2 devices. An iPhone 6 and a printer. The usage was sending an iPrint request to the printer. That event did not use any download data. It did only use peer to peer data transfer via the jet pack as common wifi for local data transfer. The Jetpack interpets and registers the local LAN data as download data. After speaking with tier 2 support I was told the Jetpack is not sophisticated enought to distinguish the 2 data types. This is an absurd answer and clearly a case of double billing.

The test was also completed with a Sonos amp connected instead of the printer. The connection to the sonos used the local music from the iPhone   This also produced the same usage where data from the phone to the 3rd party device showed as download billable data when no download data was used. I went from 12 GB usage to over 15 using these 2  tests.

Will you offer a credit because some of the data should not be counted as download data?

Will you update the software or  the billing policy so this poor and fraudulent practice ends?

0 Likes