Prepaid Jetpack - Return or other options
jetpack0236

I recently purchased a 6620L Jetpack device on the newly update $70 per month unlimited plan.  Unfortunately the performance has been awful, with speeds consistently around 200-500 kbps.  I asked the store about a return, but was told that this is not possible, even in the 14 day initial window - are they correct in stating this?  Is there any recourse, or am I stuck with a $150 device that is barely usable?

0 Likes
Re: Prepaid Jetpack - Return or other options
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The 14 day window should allow for a return for just about any reason, but they will charge you a restocking fee.  If your intent is to return a defective device then it is worth it to try again either in store or via a VZW chat/voice rep.

Have you tried performing any of the various resets to see if the performance problem is temporary or not?  You should have an idea of what is possible if you have another Verizon device in the same area by comparing the two.

200kbps makes it sound like you have hit your soft limit on the unlimited plan and are being optimized.  I think the optimization feature kicks in around 22GB of usage.

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The prepaid unlimited plan for Jetpacks appears to have different terms and conditions. Prepaid Cell Phones & No Contract Plans | Verizon Wireless

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
jetpack0236

I neglected to make clear in my original post that the device and plan were purchased through a Verizon Authorized Retailer - would that give them leeway to deny a return?  They have stated the device cannot be returned for any reason, even if a restocking fee is charged.

My understanding is that the plan I have has all data prioritized.  I have tested the device from the town where I work and at several points in between and get speeds around 10 mpbs, but once I get close to my home speeds drop to below 1 mbps.  I assume that the device is connecting to a different tower at that point, which must be completely saturated.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

According to Ann the prepaid devices have different terms and conditions than the normal ones.  That must be one of the tradeoffs for purchasing a prepaid device.  Unless you can cite the wordage that is holding you up in the terms you agreed to we wont be able to assist you on this one.

I'm not aware of any plans that are 100% immune to the optimization feature anymore.  Even our corporate shared pool plans have a soft cap of 22Gb.

Based on what you are describing it sounds like you are getting optimized when you are connecting to the tower near your home.  Try connecting at different times of the day and see if its isolated to peak hours or not.

0 Likes
gregl_vzw
Verizon Employee

I am sorry to hear that you're running into some speed troubles and wanting to return your device, jetpack0236. While we are happy to troubleshoot with you here, the return policy may differ based on the authorized retailer's policy.

In regard to the slow speed, what is the zip code for your home area? Do you have any other Verizon devices that experience slow speeds at this location?

GregL_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes