Recent changes resulting in DNS failures / "Resolving Host" errors?
berkeleykeith

Hi All, I have the Jetpack 4620, and it has worked great the last 2 years.  About 3 weeks ago it started having problems where it would show it was happily connected to Verizon LTE, but my devices couldn't successfully connect to the internet.  Browsers error out with timeout messages, and in the bottom left corner it is always saying, "Resolving host".  When pages do come back [sometimes] they often have huge formatting issues (just text, left justified).  I googled for this and it is a common issue for DNS issues.  I tried switching the DNS to Google (8.8.8.8) but that doesn't seem to help with these errors.

My primary device is an Apple MacBook Air, and I use Chrome as my browser.    I have tried with Safari but have the same issues.

I use the device on the bus from Berkeley to San Francisco, if location matters...

Thanks!

0 Likes
Re: Recent changes resulting in DNS failures / "Resolving Host" errors?
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

If you are using the Jetpack on the move there is a chance it is suffering from the handoffs as you bounce from tower to tower along your route.  Nothing you can really do about that one other than to sit still in a location when you notice the problem happening and try to dig up more information.

Considering it has worked for you in the past you may be having a temporary issue that will resolve itself soon.  Although 3 weeks is a long time for a temporary problem.  Perhaps the environment has changed in a way that is no longer beneficial for you.

Does it happen anywhere else but on the bus line?  It could simply be that your airspace is too crowded and VZW needs to beef up the investment in that area.

0 Likes
berkeleykeith

Thanks John, I only use the MIFI on the bus, so I don't really have a point of context.  I'll try it in a static location later today to see if that has something to do with it.  Ironically, on the bus today, it worked pretty well (just dropped once), although I had VPN working...

0 Likes
Chevy55

I have the Jetpack MHS291 and have the same issues? It shows the great LTE 4bars+ connection but will not barely connect most times and then every once in a while it will do OK? Has done well for quite a while but the last two weeks sucks?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Chances are that if you are not riding on the same bus as berkeleykeith then you do not have the same issue.  However your symptoms may be similar so we can still help.

Normally when evaluating a problem with a Jetpack its important to test in a few different locations to see where the problem is occurring.  If its only in one spot that's one issue, if it happens everywhere that's another.  This process is known as a site survey and is important for isolating problems in wireless.

Test around a little and collect some more info for us.  I encourage you to start your own thread so that you can get more attention to your particular problem.

0 Likes