Safety mode with MiFi device after shared data limit is reached like on my phone, or will I be billed for additional data?
Mitchell1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Hello,

I am a university student and I bought a MiFi device and I am sure its going to be VERY useful for being able to get out there more and do my studies at more locations.

I updated my plan today to the 12GB shared plan, with the safety mode and keeping of unused data.

I have the understanding that once the 12GB is being utilized, my phone will go into safety mode and continue to operate at drastically reduced speeds.

Being that it is a shared data plan for the 12GB, once the data cap of 12GB is being reached, will the MiFi device as well just go and operate at a drastically reduced speed, or being that it is a MiFi device, will I automatically be billed for additional data?

If the MiFi device is going to go into safety mode, do I need to change a setting somewhere to specify that I want it to go into safety mode and operate at reduced speed instead of occurring extra data charges, or will it do this automatically?

Or am I mistaken and the MiFi device is not included with the safety mode feature to operate at reduced speeds without occurring extra cost?

Input is greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Safety mode with MiFi device after shared data limit is reached like on my phone, or will I be billed for additional data?
Weth
Legend

Safety mode is per shared plan not per device. As long as you have Safety Mode turned on for your plan (which you can do from your primary phone), it will apply to any device on the shared account. When you reach 12 GB, any shared device will be slowed down to 128 kbps (which is very slow), but there will not be any overage charges. There is no limit to how much slow data you can use.

View solution in original post

Re: Safety mode with MiFi device after shared data limit is reached like on my phone, or will I be billed for additional data?
Weth
Legend

Safety mode is per shared plan not per device. As long as you have Safety Mode turned on for your plan (which you can do from your primary phone), it will apply to any device on the shared account. When you reach 12 GB, any shared device will be slowed down to 128 kbps (which is very slow), but there will not be any overage charges. There is no limit to how much slow data you can use.

Mitchell1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you. I do know it is very slow in comparison.

I do have safety mode enabled from my phone.

It is interesting to know this applies to the Mifi as well... so the mifi too will operate on safety mode? I'm just requesting clarification as I've researched other cell providers and they tell me that their similar devices do NOT operate at reduced speed and instead just bill a data overage.

I will be extremely pleased if my MiFi decide with Verizon indeed will operate on reduced speed with safety mode if my data limit is reached and instead doesn't bill me an overage.

Thanks so much for your input. If this is indeed accurate in my case it's a good time to be a Verizon customer.

I am a student completing an online university program and bought the mifi device so I could do my studies at more places and not worry about unsecured wifi.

I did my online high school program with an air card from Verizon back when they had them with unlimited data and there wasn't even 3g then so I am aware of the network quality I will get at 128kbps.

Clarification and confirmation would be great.

Thanks again.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

As long as you are on the new Verizon Plan and your phone and mifi on on the same plan sharing the same data, and you have safety mode turned on then every device on that plan, mifi included, will go into safety mode instead of overages once your data limit is reached. Since safety mode is at the account level and not device level, it only needs to be set once from one device and it turns it on for all devices on the same new Verizon Plan. Of this I am 100% sure.

I know you want confirmation so hopefully Verizon rep will be on here to either confirm or mark my answer correct.

0 Likes
Mitchell1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Weth,

Thanks for your reply. I am hoping a Verizon rep will clarify this. I know it has been seen as I did see they moved this conversation from other devices to jet pack.

I do hope a Verizon rep will respond. This safety mode and if it does indeed apply to the mifi very may well be what keeps me with Verizon in the long run seeing how competitive everything seems to be.

There will be times where I anticipate using maybe a few gigs out of the 12gb and others where I would otherwise go over. Especially when I use the mifi device for my coursework.

I do understand as well what 128kbps will be like. As I said I had an air card working around that speed at just an evdo connection before 3g when I did my online high school program.

I'm genuinely hoping a Verizon rep can tell me if safety mode still applies for the mifi device and perhaps mobile Hotspot on my phone and to know it will just operate at lower speed using safety mode and not occur additional charge if the mifi device is operating after data limit is reached and safety mode is enabled.

I'm curious is this is also applicable to my phones Hotspot feature or if that will occur extra expense if operating after data limit is hit and safety mode is enabled.

I'm only questioning it as I recall back on my iPhone 4 with unlimited data Verizon charged extra for Hotspot which is why I'm hoping a Verizon rep can clarify if mifi will just use data at reduced speed with safety mode or if I'm billed for more data.

Thanks.

0 Likes
Weth
Legend

I can tell you from personal experience the hotspot on any phone on the plan goes into safety mode and does not trigger any overage fees. Since the hotspot feature is included on the Verizon Plan, there is no other charges for using the hotspot on the phone.

0 Likes
Mitchell1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

Thank you so much for your input. Good to know the Hotspot too will operate at lower speeds as well and go into safety mode.

If this is the case I would also assume your original response is accurate in that the mifi will too go into safety mode and just operate at reduced speed and not occur additional cost.

I value your time that you spent giving me clarification and input. I do hope a Verizon rep will see this soon and give their response.

Thanks again. Hopefully a Verizon rep will see this soon.

0 Likes
Mitchell1992
Enthusiast - Level 2

I'm bumping this topic in the hope that a Verizon rep can give an official answer.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Mitchell1992 wrote:

I'm bumping this topic in the hope that a Verizon rep can give an official answer.

Just so you know, simply having a Verizon rep give an answer does not necessarily make it correct. I have seen Verizon reps on this forum give contradicting answers as well as people calling in to CS also getting contradictory information depending on who they get on any given call. I have seen many "official" answers listed as such by Verizon reps which I had to contact forum moderators that the "official" answer was incorrect and the thread needed to be unlocked in order to provide the correct answer.

Safety mode is an account specific setting, not a device specific setting. When it is turned on for an account and enabled, it is in effect for all devices on that account. According to the Safety Mode faq, "Once you opt in, you'll automatically go into Safety Mode any month you run out of data. You won't incur overages unless you disable Safety Mode." I don't see how allowing overages of some devices and not on others can possibly make that statement valid. You either have overages on an account or you don't have overages on an account. When Verizon states "you won't incur overages", it does not clarify it by ALSO stating "on some devices only."

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Mitchell1992, I totally understand that you want to be sure to avoid overages. Our community members are correct. If you enable safety mode your MiFi will absolutely be reduced in data speeds instead os incurring overages. The only way you would receive overages is if your MiFi was on a completely different plan. Are there any other questions or concerns we can assist you with today?

MarcusS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport
If my response answered your question please click the 'Correct Answer' button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes