Signal Strength and Internet Getting Slower on MIFI 8800L
Eric213

I have had my MIFI 8800Lfor two years now.  For the first 20 months, the speeds were acceptable for a semi-rural area.  My average download was 10 Mbps, Upload: 7 Mbps, Ping: 68 ms, Jitter: 25 ms.  My SNR was usually 2:1.  Outside signal was usually around -84 dB.

Recently I upgraded to the Unlimited 150 G plan.  Since May 13th of this year, the speeds dropped to 8 Mbps Down, 5 Mbps Up, SNR 1:7.  Outside the signal came in at -110 dB.

I contacted Verizon. We reset the device.  The speeds lowered to 1.9 Mbps.  A ticket was opened and I received an email stating the problem is fixed.

The problem isn't fixed. The speeds went down further.  I used a scanner outside yesterday and aimed at 5 Verizon towers in my line of sight.  The average speeds were: 33.4 Mbps Down, 12.6 Mbps Up with a 52 ms ping.

I installed an outdoor 2x2 MIMO passive antenna and it brought my speeds up to 4 Mbps Down and 6 Mbps Up.

I work from home and need at least 9 Mbps Down and 5 Mbps Up.

My current usage is at 34.6 GB with 19 days left in the cycle.  I believe I am being throttled.  There is no other explanation.  One of the reps mentioned saturation.  That is a scripted response.  No one is building on the farm fields between myself and the nearest tower.

Is Verizon going to fix their problems for the areas outside of the city of Sioux Falls, SD?

0 Likes
Re: Signal Strength and Internet Getting Slower on MIFI 8800L
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Our number one goal is to make sure you have the speeds you need. We would like to take a closer look into your connection. Please send us a Private Note so that we can better assist you. Thank you in advance!

*Ellisandra

0 Likes
Eric213

I sent a message on June 12th and have not heard anything back yet.

I ran a speed test this morning and the response was 4.3 Mbps down, 5.0 Mbps up with a latency of 42 ms.

The latency is good for this area.  The upload meets the bare minimum and the download is still shy of the 9 Mbps I need to use for work.

0 Likes
rogerssj23

Was this issue ever resolved? I have been having the same problem with my Jetpack. Low bars and slow speed no matter where I am. I have to hotspot from my phone half the time just so I can work, which makes me wonder why I'm paying for monthly unlimited data if it only works part of the time. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep
@rogerssj23  wrote: Was this issue ever resolved? I have been having the same problem with my Jetpack. Low bars and slow speed no matter where I am. I have to hotspot from my phone half the time just so I can work, which makes me wonder why I'm paying for monthly unlimited data if it only works part of the time. 

I know how much I depend on my service for work, and for my hobbies and entertainment. We are here to help make sure you have a reliable experience as well. Can you tell me more about what results you get when performing a speed test? What about one from your cell phone hotspot? Can you share the nearest cross streets and city where you have experienced this the most?

-Joseph

0 Likes