Verizon 7730L MiFi Software Update Fail
oldSarge98

For a month now my Verizon 7730L MiFi regularly downloads, "installs", and restarts but following three auto restarts it informs me that "There was a problem updating your Jetpack MiFi 7730L. No changes were made." Then the unit proceeds to work pretty much normally. As I said this has been happening for a month now and I am forced to go through this process every time I shut down and restart so I can guess that this updtat failure has occured at least two dozen times or more.

About two weeks ago I called and talked to a tech rep and they could not find a solution and that the update was not critical so she just left me with status quo. Today I had to chat online since the MiFi decided to freeze as it was starting up. The touch display would not respond nor would it shut down using the power reset button. The online troubleshooter said to pull the batter AFTER it was powered down so I had to initiat the chat to get it working. The tech said it would not hurt to pull the battery while it was powered up but frozen so following that direction that's what I did. after replacing the battery and restarting I logged into it from my computer and backed up the configuration, performed a factory reset and once again attempted to insall the update only to receive the same failed results. I then restored the backup configuration and I am back to business with a MiFi that won't upate but will continually attempt to.

Anyone experiencing the same problem and maybe having a solution?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Verizon 7730L MiFi Software Update Fail
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JECARTERSR, I do apologize that you have had these issues with your device. I certainly want to get to the bottom of why this device will not update properly. If the device is still under warranty then it can be replaced free of charge, however, we would have to access your account. This would need to be done in private here or over the phone.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

In the past Novatel would give us an option to install firmware updates from a PC.  Eventually they migrated over to OTA (Over the Air) updates.  Now it appears the option to update via PC is no longer an option.

Firmware update options:

https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-209155/

If the device continues to fail after attempting both update options in the article then you will have to get Verizon to send you a new one with the proper firmware already loaded for you.  If there is warranty remaining this should not give you much trouble, just reference your previous troubleshooting calls to skip the basics and move onto hardware replacement.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

oldSarge98, 

We want you to be able to use your 7730L MiFi device with smooth sailing. I'd like to take a closer look into this. To fully assist, please respond to the private message.

CoreyM_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes
IANCAM84

jetpack mifi7730l will not update

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Contact VZW directly and confirm what kinds of options there are for this model.  Based on my previous post it would seem that there is only an OTA option for updating firmware.  That means its up to Verizon to replace the Jetpack if it ends up bricking or is unable to complete the firmware update process.

Let us know if you can find anything out from there.

0 Likes
JECARTERSR

CoreyM_VZW -- Please contact me regarding this issue; like oldSarge98, my device will not update under any circumstances.  Probably unlike him, though, I own my device outright (bought a few months ago), so I am having difficulty getting Verizon Tech Support to assist me with this -- even though it is still under warranty and has done this from "Day 1".

I have attempted 30+ factory resets via the Administrative web app, and 10+ "hard" resets via the reset button in the battery compartment.  The update has been downloaded over 50 times, but fails to install.

The sequence goes like this:

1) I go through the button-presses and the device downloads the update;

2) I instruct it to install the update now, and the device reboots to a "pre-boot" mode (such as the bootloader);

3) The device shows a progress bar, and it begins to fill with green from left to right, but never goes more than 1/10th of the way before clearing the green.  The caption on the progress bar is "Step 1 of 2";

4)  The device then reboots twice -- never completing Step 2 of the update -- eventually reporting that the update failed;

Being an Android developer, it is obvious to me that the update file is corrupted, fails a hardware compatibility test, or fails to find the "Step 2" entry point during the update due to an internal hardware issue.

In any case, I need this device to update -- or I need Verizon to replace the device which was obviously defective when sold (if it is a hardware issue).

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JECARTERSR, I do apologize that you have had these issues with your device. I certainly want to get to the bottom of why this device will not update properly. If the device is still under warranty then it can be replaced free of charge, however, we would have to access your account. This would need to be done in private here or over the phone.

NicoleT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
JECARTERSR

Since I drive a tractor trailer, getting into a corporate store is a

problem. I am currently traveling along interstate 70 from eastern Ohio to

Tacoma, Washington. Maybe the is one in Columbus, Ohio or Indianapolis,

Indiana that I can get into? So many stores are located in shopping malls

that either have no room for a truck or actually ban tractor trailers.

John Carter

On Nov 21, 2017 11:07 PM, "vzw_customer_support" <forums@verizonwireless.com>

0 Likes
TamaraH_VZW
Verizon Employee

I can see how that would present a problem if there is no room for parking.

This is our store locator Verizon Stores Near Me | Verizon Wireless

Please put a check mark where it says Do not include Authorized Retailers and that will show you our corporate locations only.

TamaraH_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes