Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L Overheating
Dorsai
Enthusiast - Level 1

I just received my Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L yesterday. Today, I had a single device (PC) connected executing some downloads (hi-rez digital files). Suddenly I lost connectivity and when I checked the hotspot I found that it had powered down. Thinking that it may have been a battery issue, I plugged it in and turned it back on. A message appeared momentarily indicating that it was "too hot" (or something similar) and that it would continue charging while it cooled down. (It still had 20% charge remaining, so I assume that was not the issue.)

Please advise.

Re: Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L Overheating
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want to make sure that your Jetpack is functioning properly, Dorsai. We are here to help! Has the device heated up repeatedly, or just that one time? Can you tell us more about the location of the Jetpack? Is it near items that may produce heat? What happens if you try to connect a different device and test if the same issue occurs again? MarshallP_VZW

0 Likes
Dorsai
Enthusiast - Level 1

The Jetpack was on a wooden end-table with only a lamp nearby (which was not on at the time). Unfortunately, I have not been able to test other scenarios due to the fact that the jetpack has become pretty-much unusable since reaching the 15GB download threshold. Although documentation and the Verizon site indicate download speeds of 600 KBps after the threshold is met, I have not been able to attain anything over 70 KBps.

Might these issues be related?

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

I am sure that this is not the issue, Dorsai. I do see after 15GB of usage you will get speeds up to 600Kbps. If the device is getting hot then we will need one of our stores to look at the device. Please make an appointment with our store here: www.vzw.com/stores Do you have any questions regarding this information?  AmberF_VZW

0 Likes
awampler71
Enthusiast - Level 1

I also have the same issue. I bought the unit to work from my RV. I'm currently in Gettysburg, PA and have a strong 4 - 5 bar signal. I used the unit yesterday so I could attend work Skype meetings and manage emails and other work for 8 hours. The unit was fully charged at 07:30 when I logged into work. I got the same overheated message at 15:50 while I was on a work call. This is only the third time I have used this MIFI while traveling. 

vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Hi Awampler71,

We always want your Jetpack to work properly. We can help here. When did the issue start? Where is the Jetpack located? meaning is the Jetpack is exposed to a heat source. Are you using the original charger that came with the device? 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

0 Likes
Glenn061519
Enthusiast - Level 1

@vzw_customer_support wrote:

Hi Awampler71,

We always want your Jetpack to work properly. We can help here. When did the issue start? Where is the Jetpack located? meaning is the Jetpack is exposed to a heat source. Are you using the original charger that came with the device? 

Thanks,

PamelaF_VZW

I am having the same issue. The jet pack was on my arm rest next to me. No heat source near it. The room has all heat off and is 71*. All light in the room is LED and the closest light is 6 feet away. 

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We want you to have a safe and effective JetPack. We'd like to see what's going on. Let's get to the bottom of this. First, do you have JetPack MiFi 8800L also or do you have another model of it? *Melissa

0 Likes
stuart_

My jetpack runs super hot. Almost too hot to touch at times. Unplugged, sitting on a  desk. Never got the heat shutdown, though.

0 Likes