Verizon MIFI 8800L overheats
vannchan
Enthusiast - Level 1

I have a Verizon 8800L hotspot and it overheats.  It gets very hot to the touch and says it will not continue to charge until it cools off.  It is not near any heat source.  This started to happen a month or so ago.  Before that (for over two years) it worked fine.  Is there a solution that will not require me to purchase a brand new unit?

Re: Verizon MIFI 8800L overheats
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

We definitely want to make sure you have a device that is safe and doesn't overheat. Do you notice any swelling in the battery, or an acrid smell?

0 Likes
Chiefmike824

Occurred at 57% charged. Battery does not appear to be swollen. There is no discernible odor.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Let's get this resolved ASAP.   Has the device itself been  wet or damaged at all?

0 Likes
fpoole
Enthusiast - Level 1

Min is doing the same thing, really, really hot.. so who to contact for help

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us, fpoole! I am here to help. I will be more than happy to assist you further. You have reached the right person. Can you let me know details what exactly what is happening to your device?  *Emina 

0 Likes
fpoole
Enthusiast - Level 1
Thank you Emina, for the quick response.

I've had it for awhile now and lately, last  month or so, it's been overheating and shutting down.  Now granted I'm in a hot zone, Kingman, AZ 86409, it's done it twice now and when touching  it, is extremely HOT.  I finally had to wrap an Cool Ice brick, wrapped in a towel and put it on top... to keep from overheating..  It's also, appears anyway, to take longer to start, Charge times seem slower.. so not sure what's going on.
Been in AZ, Quartzite, AZ 85346 and other hot areas, never had a problem.

Also, since I have your attention, will the 8800 work with 5g? and if so.. is Kingman, AZ 86409 in coverage area.. Map shows, not quite...
No swelling that I can see..

thanks..
0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

fpoole, a device overheating is concerning. We are here to work toward a resolution.

The 8800L is a 4G Jetpack, so this device works on the 4G LTE network. Here is a web page https://www.verizon.com/internet-devices/orbic-speed-5g-uw/ with a 5G Jetpack. We hope that information helps. 

It was mentioned there was not any swelling. To confirm are there any, odors, smoke or melting? 

-David

0 Likes
fpoole
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yah, no visible swelling, smoking etc.. just very hot to the touch.

There's a Verizon store nearby, I check with them... 

thanks...

FYI, the 5G brick is not getting good reviews.. so I"ll stay with the 8800L 4g.. 

Thanks for the link though.. .

0 Likes