Verizon Mifi 8800L overheating
bethl2
Enthusiast - Level 2

Recently have been having a ton of issues with the jetpack overheating and abruptly shutting off. At first I thought I had left it plugged in too long and it had reached full charge. But this is also happening when running off of a charged battery, not plugged in. I tried charging the battery up to about 80%, then taking the battery out to allow the device and battery pack to cool down, and then reassembled it and reconnected. It lasted about an hour before it shut off again and was super hot to the touch.

The battery itself does not appear swollen or smell weird, or show any other outward sign of problems, although I have ordered a new one in case. I leave it in a cabinet that gets to perhaps 80 degrees, but I've had it in that cabinet for a very long time and these issues have only recently begun. The jetpack has never been wet, dropped, or otherwise damaged. A factory reset did not seem to fix the issue. What else can I try?

Re: Verizon Mifi 8800L overheating
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for reaching out to us today. We are sorry to read that you are having issues with your Jetpack overheating and we want to help. Do you know if this started after a software update? Does the device give you any warning messages about the temperature or that it will power off?   ~Roger

0 Likes
bethl2
Enthusiast - Level 2

No, it hasn't had a software update in some time, as far as I know. Sometimes it shows a "Jetpack is too hot" message that says it's going to stop charging until the device cools down. Sometimes it just dies without any warning. But I'm not always looking at it so I'm not sure how often each occurs.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for those additional details. When you say the device dies without warning, is this while plugged in?*Stanley

0 Likes
bethl2
Enthusiast - Level 2

I think so, usually.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Thank you for this information, we have sent you a private note, please reply on that platform to continue assisting you.~Pam

0 Likes
Rß
Enthusiast - Level 1

Yes the MiFi 8800L runs hot. If the ambient temperature is hot it will have thermal runaway. A hot device has more noise in the front end and you will have difficulty connecting in marginal areas. Taking a high performance processor and wrapping it in a plastic case has problems.

No, I do not recommend that you do this, but it works for me. I removed the (insulating) front window, the (insulating) OLED display, the (insulating) battery and installed a heatsink.

MiFi 8800L modified