We want to tether our jetpack to a computer
skipheart7

We want to hardwire our jetpack to my husband's computer but will that disable the wifi connection to other devices? Is it an either/or situation?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: We want to tether our jetpack to a computer
ranchguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can get a wireless usb adapter for a desktop computer that doesn't have wireless for $10 to $20 or so if that happens to be the reason for wiring.  As mentioned you can wirelessly connect to certain routers or network extenders (at least I think an extender would work) to connect to Ethernet.  The 4G usb modem connected to a router works, but makes portability inconvenient if you use that.  But if portability isn't that important, I think I'd go with a 4G router instead.

I had satellite internet until '12, then I switched to a jetpack through Millenicom.  I had a Cradlepoint router that automatically connected when the jetpack was turned on.  I switched to the usb plug in option, got it used for about $13, it was handier being automatic and not dealing with the jetpack.  Worked well, so what you want works fine.  I then switched to a regional cell provider that has slower speeds but much higher cap for less money.  I also have a cell signal booster to get a usable signal in the house​ with either carrier.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

It is an either/or.

Your description of your home network arrangement would work better if you had a 4G LTE USB modem plugged into a compatible WiFi router. The router then broadcasts the Wi-Fi signal and provides a wired connection to other devices.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> We want to hardwire our jetpack to my husband's computer but will that disable the wifi connection to other devices?

Yes. Tethering on Jetpacks will disable the WiFi broadcasting feature that allows multiple devices to access the VZW network at the same time.

>  Is it an either/or situation?

Yes. Verizon has better devices that can offer shared Ethernet cable and WiFi connections such as the 4G LTE router or a USB Modem + Compatible Home Router combo.

0 Likes
ranchguy
Enthusiast - Level 2

You can get a wireless usb adapter for a desktop computer that doesn't have wireless for $10 to $20 or so if that happens to be the reason for wiring.  As mentioned you can wirelessly connect to certain routers or network extenders (at least I think an extender would work) to connect to Ethernet.  The 4G usb modem connected to a router works, but makes portability inconvenient if you use that.  But if portability isn't that important, I think I'd go with a 4G router instead.

I had satellite internet until '12, then I switched to a jetpack through Millenicom.  I had a Cradlepoint router that automatically connected when the jetpack was turned on.  I switched to the usb plug in option, got it used for about $13, it was handier being automatic and not dealing with the jetpack.  Worked well, so what you want works fine.  I then switched to a regional cell provider that has slower speeds but much higher cap for less money.  I also have a cell signal booster to get a usable signal in the house​ with either carrier.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Ranchguy has a solid idea on connecting your computer to the Jetpack, it sounds like you would benefit more from keeping the WiFi signal broadcasting. Please let us know how this works for you.

TylerK_VZW

Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the "Correct Answer" button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes