Re: Another 4620LE "New Mandatory software update from Verizon Wireless" (Ver. 3.30.13)...
JackTheBearTexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I hope you are not saying "Since I updated the firmware I have lost 4G LTE service unless I call Verizon Tech Support and then the results my be inconclusive????  I have a couple of 4620L's - I am thinking of switching the SIM card to one of them - will that work or will they just upgrade to the downgrade and I will have two low performing MIFI's?  Why did they have to F with it - it was working just fine?   Guess they tech guyz have to justify their existence with "upgrades"   new and improved - right?   Cheers   Vic 

0 Likes
Re: Another 4620LE "New Mandatory software update from Verizon Wireless" (Ver. 3.30.13)...
JackTheBearTexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Wellllllllllllll I just dug out one of my backup 4620L 98CC - pulled my SIM card out of the 3.30 MIFI and put it in.  It worked but not until Verizon pushed a MANDOTORY 3.20 update.  So far so good - did have mess with it quite a bit to get it tethered to my Pepwave SOHO router - but alas it is working (for now) knocking on all types of wood - oak, plywood, canary wood, pecan - you get the picture.  Also the whole thing is running quite fast - like a 4G LTE connect should  11.23 MPS download according to speedtest.net. 
Hope I bought some time and an upgrade will be available soon so I can restore my primary 4620L  - Just hope they don't push the 3.30 - How will I know when they come out with another firmware "update.?"  

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

The call to VZW about the HLR/VLR is only a suggestion, not a guaranteed success.  It was a suggestion by a Novatel engineer who was working with .  The VZW phone reps may or may not have the understanding necessary to perform the steps as we have documented them, its not something they do every day.  Feel free to try it if you like, it wont break anything that is not already broken.  Worst case scenario you are out the time it takes to call and explain what you want them to do for you.

Your feedback is consistent with what we have observed on the forums so far.  Any devices that happened to skip the initial 3.30.12 firmware release have been working fine (as your old MiFi did).  It is only those users who accepted and installed the update on its initial release (as your new MiFi did) that are experiencing problems.  VZW quickly suspended the firmware update and minimized the damage.  We are assuming that the registration issue has been resolved at VZW, but some extra assistance is needed to get those on the 3.30.12 firmware re-registered.  That is where the HLR/VLR reset or swapping the device comes into play.

There is no way to know in advance when a firmware update is going to be released.  Novatel develops the firmware for their devices and uses VZWs network to distribute them to the devices.  You can also check back here on the forums where you know you are not the only one experiencing this problem and looking for a solution.

0 Likes
JackTheBearTexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

luckily one can pick up the 4620L on eBay for under $50!  I was glad I had a couple of spares after Verizon bricked my first one.  The US is sooooooooo far behind some other nations in their EVDO service.  I had Sprint for 7 years - UNLIMITED - For the last 9 months I had to reboot my router up to 20 times a day to stay connected - was slow as dialup - 24 - 36 KBS - actually slower than dial up.  Sprint said they were working on upgrading the towers.  I have VZW for my phones so I borrowed a 4620L from the local Verizon store and got 4G LTE with my unlimited SIM card.  So I reluctantly switched.  Now VZW  has issued firmware to trash thousands of MiFi devices.  Here I go again.    Thanks for your assistance    Vic

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

JackTheBearTexas,

We definitely want you to enjoy your 4G LTE service and want to ensure we do everything we can to bring it back. Please try these steps and keep us posted http://vz.to/KrsMG5 . The SIM card is intended for the LTE service, switching it will not affect the phone number or update since the software update was on the device itself. You can order one at no cost on My Verizon or pick one up at one of our corporate stores.

AdaS_VZW
Follow us on Twitter at @VZWSupport

0 Likes
JackTheBearTexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

Just noticed on my 2nd MiFi 4620L which has the 3.20  update on it - there is a message that there is a mandatory update - Does this mean I will trash a 2nd 4620L or is it different that the 3.30.13?  I did not do the update and all is running OK.  Anyone know if this is a fix for the 3.30 which trashed so many 4620l's   ?  Thanks  

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You should be safe to update by now.  Only those who performed the 3.30.12 update during its initial release period back in November 2013 have encountered problems.  VZW or Novatel noticed this problem and quickly suspended the update after a few days to minimize the impact.  Sometime in December they re-opened with the 3.30.13 and all devices that managed to skip 3.30.12 have been fine. 

0 Likes
lookinforanswer
Contributor - Level 2

However, all users need to make sure to allow it to finish completely DO NOT interrupt it and don't delay it just go ahead and let it go.  Otherwise, you will have problems.

0 Likes
JackTheBearTexas
Enthusiast - Level 2

I did not interrupt the first "update"  and it did trash a 4620L  - I will avoid the so called updates as long as I can - I don't trust them any more and now have a door stop or a hockey puck (I think you could use it as a hockey puck) 4620L which used to work fine.  Sometimes new and improved is NOT.  Perhaps I will try to update the one that was trashed when I have a few spare hours to waste.  Grrrrrrrrrrr   Thanks for the response   Vic

0 Likes