Why Is My Jetpack 4G LTE Using So Much Data?
CHESTI85
Enthusiast - Level 1

my 4 g jetpack is suddenly using an extreme amount of data...about double the norm.  not doing anything different...HELP

1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: 4 g is using an extreme amount of data
jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee

It’s definitely important to find the cause of your unexpected usage, CHESTI85. As John mentioned, there are a few ways to determine the root cause of what’s connected to the Jetpack using the data and he has some great tips on conservation too.  You can use the steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-jetpack-faqs/#item9 to check the data usage and compare it to what may have been connected during that time. There’s also a few tips on https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-usage-faqs/#gid2_qid5 to help with minimizing the data usage for a Jetpack device.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mama23dogs
Legend

To be accurate, it doesn't use any data, things connected to it are using data.   Verizon should be used to the complaints by now.  Contact them directly for possible warranty replacement of the device.

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

You will have to do some digging on your own by working with the resources that are available to you.  Your first resource is the VZW Unbilled Usage Report.  This report can be viewed from your Verizon Account when signed in.  Reps can also generate this report and share it with you if necessary.  The unbilled report will show you your current data usage information in the format of data sessions. Data sessions are summaries of all the data used between a certain timeframe which are tied back to your VZW device.

From here you will have to start isolating your environment to make your unbilled report more accurate.  Disconnect all devices except for one at a time.  Restart the Jetpack and then do some work.  When you are done reboot the Jetpack and then check the report.  The report usually updates every 15-60 minutes depending on how your data is collected from the towers in your area.  Rebooting your Jetpack will clump together the data from that time and start a new data session.

Repeat this process with the other devices until you can find out what is consuming the most data.  From there you need to get the assistance of a data usage monitor application to view which apps and services are consuming the data.  Its a good idea while troubleshooting data leaks to continue to reboot the VZW device and regular increments to make the data sessions more helpful.  I'd advise powering off the VZW device until its actually needed so you reduce background communications while you are away from your devices.

Note, this is a time consuming and tedious process of elimination and trial and error.  Finding a data leak is entirely on the users to discover and stop right now.  VZW does not have any obligations to help or share what they have collected from your VZW device, you have to figure it out.

jenniferh_vzw
Verizon Employee

It’s definitely important to find the cause of your unexpected usage, CHESTI85. As John mentioned, there are a few ways to determine the root cause of what’s connected to the Jetpack using the data and he has some great tips on conservation too.  You can use the steps at https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/verizon-jetpack-faqs/#item9 to check the data usage and compare it to what may have been connected during that time. There’s also a few tips on https://www.verizonwireless.com/support/data-usage-faqs/#gid2_qid5 to help with minimizing the data usage for a Jetpack device.

Thank you

JenniferH_VZW

Please follow us on Twitter @vzwsupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes