Why did I buy a Jetpack?
Strat117
Enthusiast - Level 2

A Jetpac was purchased and the explanation, as I understood it at the time,  was a cell phone and the Jetpac have a 22GB limit but will only be degraded if the network that your currently using is saturated.  The Hotspot on the phone is limited to 10GB then it is restricted to 3G.  After buying and using the JetPack I finde it is also restricted to 10GB and then 3G after that and it doesn't matter whether the network is saturated or not.   So why is the JetPac not treated like a phone at 22GB and then allowed 4G as long as the network it is connected to not saturated.  Why did I buy a separate device and pay an additional monthly $20 fee for a device that for all practical purposes is limited to 10GB.  Why is this device not treated like a phone with 22GB?  I would not have bought this thing had it been explained to me properly!

After the last 3 days of talking to Tech support, store employees and telephone sales.  I have seen different comments and understanding from all of them.  For instance,  look at the frequently asked questions for the all weather video camera that can be used with the Canary security system.  There is a Verizon answer to a FAQ that states the camera cannot connect to a JetPack because it needed a Wifi connection.  I was on the phone for about 20 minutes with sales and then tech support that confirmed that it will connect to the Jetpack and they don't know why that answer is listed to a FAQ.  Also,  why isn't almost impossible to find anything on the Verizon site for the Jetpack that mentions that it is limited to 10GB.   This leaves a customer up to the knowledge and explanation of its sales staff.  These people are misinformed and/or don't do an adequate job of explaining this.  Why? 

Re: Why did I buy a Jetpack?
dexman
Community Leader
Community Leader

The Jetpack is a data device. Unlike a smartphone, it isn't used to place or receive calls. It is used to allow non-4G/LTE devices temporary connections to Verizon Wireless's mobile data network. For long term connections, a different device available from Verizon Wireless is recommended.

Verizon Wireless has set a 10G limit on Hotspot activity before slowing down speeds to 3G. Smartphones, which are less likely to be actively consuming data, are given a 22G limit before data speeds may be dropped down/deprioritized if the cellular tower is experiencing conjestion. The 22G threshold is observed by other cellular providers, such as at&t.

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

It isn't treated as a phone simply because it is not a phone.

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Strat117 wrote:

why isn't almost impossible to find anything on the Verizon site for the Jetpack that mentions that it is limited to 10GB. This leaves a customer up to the knowledge and explanation of its sales staff. These people are misinformed and/or don't do an adequate job of explaining this. Why?

That would be 10 GB of data at 4G LTE speeds. After that you can still get more data, just at 3G data speeds. Read #9 in the faq listed below.

The new Verizon Plan Unlimited FAQs | Verizon Wireless

0 Likes
Strat117
Enthusiast - Level 2

It should be upfront and plainly stated about the limitations with the JetPack.  If I'm talking to a sales person in the store where I made this purchase I should not have to assume he does not know what he is talking about.

0 Likes
samanthat_vzw
Verizon Employee

Strat117, this is certainly not the experience we would want you to have with us. We pride ourselves on the level of support we can provide our customers and we always want to ensure that they have the right expectations before committing to any change or purchase.

We would like to apologize for any confusion and any conflicting information that you may have received. We would be grateful to get more details on your experience and ensure that we're providing the necessary feedback so that our employees are receiving the necessary training on our products and services.

Regarding the Jetpack usage on the Unlimited plan, this has always been set to 10 GB as the mobile hotspot as well. You can check out the details on #9 of our FAQ page: http://vz.to/2lPrxqM to learn more. I've also submitted feedback regarding clarification on this page to mention Jetpacks and other Internet devices instead of just saying hotspot.

SamanthaT_VZW

Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport

If my response answered your question please click the _Correct Answer_ button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
Strat117
Enthusiast - Level 2

Listen to what you are saying.  "Smartphones, which are less likely to be actively consuming data, are given a 22G limit before data speeds may be dropped down/deprioritized if the cellular tower is experiencing conjestion"   Not logical.  A phone uses a network for Voice, Text, and Data.  A Jetpack sole purpose is to distribute internet access.  That device is purchased solely for that purpose and therefore should at least be allowed to use 22GB as a phone.  That logic is why it appeared to make sense as to why I would purchase this device and then because I'm in a sparsely populated area I should not experience excessive slowdowns once I reached 22G as a phone.   A 10Gb 4G limit followed with 3G is not logical and I was duped into a Jetpack purchase because it was not explained to me this way and the simple logic of how this device SHOULD have been marketed made it easy for me to assume it had a 22GB limit.   Hotspot limit on a phone to 10Gb sure.

How's this for logic instead of buying a stupid Jetpack I get a another cheap smartphone that has the same hotspot limit but then also have another phone available for the same stupid price per month!!!!!. 

0 Likes
Strat117
Enthusiast - Level 2

Yeah,  then why not buy a cheap phone, use it as a hotspot with the same limitation and pay the same monthly amount for a device that also allows calls,  texting and data.  Stop and think

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Strat117 wrote:

How's this for logic instead of buying a stupid Jetpack I get a another cheap smartphone that has the same hotspot limit but then also have another phone available for the same stupid price per month!!!!!.

That is certainly an option. Of course, the jetpack may have a battery which would last longer than a phone battery when being used as a hotspot.

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

Strat117,  

I’m very sorry that you feel this way about the jetpack data on the  unlimited plan. Please know we provide the best possible service when  using our data network. With all devices that you purchase, there is  always a 14 day return period that you can take advantage of.  I'm sending you a Private Message so we can provide personalized support. Please respond back to me in the Private Message to continue. Thanks! 

AliciaS_VZW Follow us on Twitter @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the �Correct  Answer� button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from  our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!!

0 Likes