Re: Why did I buy a Jetpack?
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Just sounds like the Unlimited plan is not the right one for you.

0 Likes
DEB6651
Enthusiast - Level 2

I was led to believe that 4G would slow down to 3G speed only after 10 gig was used in data. I was fine with that.   I had a previous plan through Verizon many years ago that was unlimited 3G and it was an awesome plan.   With this new plan I didn't realize that Verizon believes 0.25 mbps is acceptable 3G speed.  If I had know this a 2 months ago when I signed up for the plan,  I would have stayed with T- mobile. At the beginning of my billing cycle I will have 4G again but if my family watches a couple of movies in the first week it will be completely unusable for the rest of the billing cycle.

rcschnoor
Legend

There are ways around that 10 GB limit for watching movies. Watch the movie on your phone and stream it to Chromecast or some other device in order to watch it on your TV. That does not use the hotsopt and therefore is not subject to the 10 GB limit. If your home is not in an area where re-prioritization would take effect, you may not even realize a slowdown after 22 GB.

Autotraker
Enthusiast - Level 2

Same problem here. The 3G speed they are throttling us back to is almost unusable. During a good period I may get 0.60Mbps and usually its down around 0.25Mbps. I did read about the 10GB limit but sales rep told me not to worry about it since they will only enforce the throttle if the local cell site is congested. It was not only not true it was a downright lie. And the first month they didn't throttle me at all. They waited till I couldn't return the JetPack before they started enforcing the limit. Pretty shady stuff going on. 

0 Likes
sprmankalel
Champion - Level 3

Autotraker wrote:

Same problem here. The 3G speed they are throttling us back to is almost unusable. During a good period I may get 0.60Mbps and usually its down around 0.25Mbps. I did read about the 10GB limit but sales rep told me not to worry about it since they will only enforce the throttle if the local cell site is congested. It was not only not true it was a downright lie. And the first month they didn't throttle me at all. They waited till I couldn't return the JetPack before they started enforcing the limit. Pretty shady stuff going on.

Do you have proof that Verizon is intentionally slowing speeds or that the tower you're on is NOT congested?

0 Likes
rcschnoor
Legend

Autotraker wrote:

Same problem here. The 3G speed they are throttling us back to is almost unusable. During a good period I may get 0.60Mbps and usually its down around 0.25Mbps.

Since Verizon's 3G is 0.60Mbps and their 2G is 0.128Mbps, I would say that falls within the range of 3G.

0 Likes
rickjames5769
Enthusiast - Level 2

Verizon just told me that.60 is 2 g which will not stream by movie

0 Likes
dshellhause
Enthusiast - Level 2

I've got the same questions about my Verizon LTE Internet and Home Phone. When I purchased this product the technician specifically recommended it as a home internet solution. My understanding was that this is not a "mobile hotspot" (being plugged into the wall and my home phone and all) and therefore was treated like the phones - 22Gb before throttling, and then throttling only based on congestion. This worked out great for the first 2 months, but now internet is totally useless at home: I'm throttled to less than 200kbps after just 10 gig. Feels like something changed in how they handled my device.

0 Likes
harleyman22
Contributor - Level 1

The problem with the 14 day policy, Alicia, is Verizon did not start throttling people down to unusable speeds until 2 billing cycles AFTER the unlimited data plan was introduced...sooo..by the time the throttling occurred it was TOO LATE!!

0 Likes
harleyman22
Contributor - Level 1

The towers I connect to are in a town with a population of 350 people. How much congestion could there be at 4 a.m.?

0 Likes