Why is my attached devices dropping connection?
JOHMCQ71

I am using my JETPACK to power security camera and thermostat.  Been on line 5 days then it just dropped the devices.  Had to turn off JETPACK and restart then it worked.  I have plenty of data available.  Why??

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: Dropping attached devices
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> What does the USB modem plug into?  There is no computer and I know of no router that would accept a USB modem

USB modems can plug into a variety of Home Routers.  All you need to do is research and find a Home Router that is compatible with your desired USB modem.  These special Home Routers will provide the same services as a MiFi except that Home Routers are designed to be left powered on 24x7 and are a better candidate for continuous remote access scenarios.

Take a look at VZWs USB modems and confirm which one you are interested in.  Then we can look through 3rd party stores such as 3gstore.com to find Home Routers that are compatible with it.

All that being said, you still have one major hurdle which is the public facing IP address that is restricted by VZWs NAT firewall.  Any VZW device with a NAT IP will not be accessible for your remote access scenario.

To enable remote access on VZW NAT IP devices:

1. Setup and configure a VPN tunnel

2. Purchase a static IP from VZW (one time $500)

3. Terminate VZW and go with another ISP that offers public IPs

4. Purchase LTE Internet Installed (if available) as it offers free public IP

Option 1 is normally the most viable but still the most technical solution we are aware of.  There are home routers out there that offer or can be modded with custom firmware to provide a built in VPN client.  If so you can configure them to auto VPN connect through the USB modem which will make your AC/Thermostat and any other devices accessible on the VPN server.  In other scenarios you can configure a PC to operate as the default gateway in this location and then install a VPN client to auto connect the rest of the local network to the VPN server too.  So there are ways to accomplish your goal, but nothing straight out of the box.

View solution in original post

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

> Why??

Jetpacks are mobile devices and are not designed for 24x7 use.  They frequently require reboots to remain operational and are more ideal for temporary connections such as a traveling business man or a 2ndary backup connection.  For this reason and a few others we often recommend powering down Jetpacks once you are done using them.

If you are looking for a more stable solution to your 24x7 connection needs then consider alternative VZW devices.  For example a USB Modem and compatible home router, the VZW 4G LTE Home Router or perhaps even the LTE Internet Installed system.  Any of these devices are designed to be used 24x7 and would provided better performance provided you are not experiencing other service related problems.

If its too late to return the Jetpack and swap it for an alternative device then consider setting up a light timer for your Jetpack.  The Jetpack could then be programmed to reboot at an interval that you find appropriate automatically and improve the chances that its online and ready when you need it.

0 Likes
JOHMCQ71

It appears the 4g lye home router is no longer available

I need a low volume option that I can add to my existing

Data plan, like the JETPACK.

How do I program the JETPACK to reboot?

John McQuay

Sent from IPhone

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

Are you sure? Verizon LTE Internet and Home Phone | Verizon Wireless

The other option suggested earlier was a USB modem Verizon MiFi 4G LTE Global USB Modem U620L | Verizon Wireless and a compatible WiFi router.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JOHMCQ71

If this is still available, do you know if it can be added

To a standard 8gb shared data plan like a JETPACK would

or does it require a special plan?

John McQuay

Sent from IPhone

0 Likes
JOHMCQ71

I was referring to the Verizon

LTE Internet and Home Phone

John McQuay

Sent from IPhone

0 Likes
vzw_customer_support
Customer Service Rep

The MiFi 4G LTE Global USB Modem is currently available for purchase. We have data only plans available for this device. It can also be added to current data shared plans and family share plans such as the New Verizon Plan. If you are looking to open a new line of service, we recommend contacting our Sales Experts for more assistance. You can reach them at, 800-256-4646. Let us know if you have any other questions.

JavierMD_VZW Follow us on TWITTER @VZWSupport If my response answered your question please click the Correct Answer button under my response. This ensures others can benefit from our conversation. Thanks in advance for your help with this!

0 Likes
JOHMCQ71

This device will not work for me.

I need a stand along device that functions as the mifi cellular modem as well as the wifi router - just as the jetpack does. However, I need it to function on a 24/7 basis. I also need it to be able to share my data plan.

Any suggestions?

John

0 Likes
Ann154
Community Leader
Community Leader

The USB modem will work if you purchase a separate compatible WiFi router. The separate WiFi router is designed to function 24/7.

I'm most definitely NOT a VZW employee. If a post answered your question, please mark it as the answer.

0 Likes
JOHMCQ71

What does the USB modem plug into? There is no

computer and I know of no router that would

accept a USB modem.

John McQuay

Sent from IPhone

0 Likes