Skip to main content
Accessibility Resource Center Skip to main content
Have a phone you love? Get up to $500 when you bring your phone.
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Why won't my MHS291LVW connect to one of my PC's?
lclemmons

We have a very strange problem. We have an MHS291LVW jetpack used in a bus for a mobile solution. We have a public access PC and two staff PCs on this bus. Both staff PCs will connect to the jetpack wifi just fine. The public access PC will not. The public access PC will connect to other jetpacks of the same model and software version as well as to stationary access points. I tried verified the configuration of the jetpack against another jetpack that works and they are set up exactly the same. I tested to make sure the card in the PC is handling encryption correctly by connecting to a different network that also uses WPA2. I have removed and recreated the profile for the network in windows. I have verified the settings in the driver for the wifi card.  I verified that both jetpack and card were operating at 2.4ghz. I tried changing the WPA key. I tried WEP instead of WPA. I moved PC and jetpack to a different location to ensure there were no physical or electromagnetic obstructions to the signal. When none of this worked I put a different PC with an upgraded operating system (windows 😎 in place. It still will not connect. I went back through all of the previous troubleshooting steps and it still won't connect. I know the problem isn't the D-link card as it will connect to other networks. I know the problem isn't the jetpack because other devices connect to the jetpack. Is it possible there is an incompatibility of some kind between the chipset of the D-Link card and the wifi chipset of the jetpack? This doesn't make sense either since the card connects to a different jetpack of the same model and software version.

I could sure use some help on this one. Any ideas?

Laura

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct Answers
Re: Wifi connection problem MHS291LVW and D-Link PCI-x Wireless card
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

You sound fairly savvy on wireless troubleshooting, thanks for posting your steps.  You should have all your bases covered regarding wireless passwords, interference and hardware limitations.

One thing you didn't mention here is resetting the Jepack.  Your current Jetpack could have a temporary conflict that a reset can clear up.  Try resetting the device back to the defaults by locating the reset defaults button under the back cover.  It sounds silly but restoring the defaults can sometimes clear up misc. problems like this that block devices from connecting.

You can always try a different wireless card.  A different model may register differently on your current Jetpack and work around whatever limitation it currently has.  If it doesn't work then return it under the return policy, no harm done except for your time.

Another idea would be to setup a wireless bridge in your bus and hard wire the PCs instead of relying on WiFi.  There are many great and cheap products out there that can manage this for you and offer your PCs a more stable connection than what the MiFi can offer.  With a wireless bridge your Jetpack will operate solely as a modem to the bridge which also has its own router functionality.  Products like those from Pepwave are designed for this kind of bridging and are easy to configure.  Once you have access to a hard wire connection you can split it off with switches or other network equipment to the devices that need it.

Let us know if you need any other ideas or suggestions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Re: Wifi connection problem MHS291LVW and D-Link PCI-x Wireless card
John_Getzke
Leader
Leader

You sound fairly savvy on wireless troubleshooting, thanks for posting your steps.  You should have all your bases covered regarding wireless passwords, interference and hardware limitations.

One thing you didn't mention here is resetting the Jepack.  Your current Jetpack could have a temporary conflict that a reset can clear up.  Try resetting the device back to the defaults by locating the reset defaults button under the back cover.  It sounds silly but restoring the defaults can sometimes clear up misc. problems like this that block devices from connecting.

You can always try a different wireless card.  A different model may register differently on your current Jetpack and work around whatever limitation it currently has.  If it doesn't work then return it under the return policy, no harm done except for your time.

Another idea would be to setup a wireless bridge in your bus and hard wire the PCs instead of relying on WiFi.  There are many great and cheap products out there that can manage this for you and offer your PCs a more stable connection than what the MiFi can offer.  With a wireless bridge your Jetpack will operate solely as a modem to the bridge which also has its own router functionality.  Products like those from Pepwave are designed for this kind of bridging and are easy to configure.  Once you have access to a hard wire connection you can split it off with switches or other network equipment to the devices that need it.

Let us know if you need any other ideas or suggestions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes