Why won't my jetpack connect to my PC?
rsmack
Enthusiast - Level 2

i have an 890l jetpack. its software is up to date. my macbook connects to it. my win 8 machine will connect to the jetpack, but not

to the internet. the win 8 machine will connect to my att wireless router. please advise.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Correct answers
Re: jetpack windows 8
rsmack
Enthusiast - Level 2

hi again john….

i tried a suggestion on one of the forums you linked to. boot up win 8 in safe mode with networking. did so. still could not connect. powered off win 8. logged onto the jetpack from my macbook. looked at settings. saw the connection to my mac. turned on the win 8 machine in regular mode. now it connects! i did not change any settings in win 8 or in the jetpack. restarted win8. still connects.

maybe this will help someone else.

thanks again.

roger

View solution in original post

rsmack
Enthusiast - Level 2

also.... older pc running xp connects to jetpack, and to internet!

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

I've seen some complaints about the 890L and Windows 8.  Not sure if there is some limitation between them or not. 

Normally when a machine appears to be connected but cannot access the internet there is either some kind of a proxy issue with the browser or the device is not actually connected in the first place (ex. a password conflict or a wireless signal issue).

Answer some simple questions to help us isolate what is going on:

What is the IPv4 Address of your Win8 machine? ("IPConfig" from a cmd window)

What is the IPv4 Address of your WinXP machine?

Can you ping google from the Win8 machine? ("Ping google.com" from a cmd window)

Can you ping google from the WinXP machine?

Are there any error messages or warnings when you attempt to connect to the 890L?

0 Likes
John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1
0 Likes
rsmack
Enthusiast - Level 2

thanks john,

win 8 ipv4 addr 192.168.1.3 can’t ping google

xp ip addr 192.168.1.2 does not show ipv4 addr can ping google

0 Likes
rsmack
Enthusiast - Level 2

hi again….

no messages at connection.

i tried to reply on the forum, but wasn’t able to find a reply button.

roger

0 Likes
rsmack
Enthusiast - Level 2

hi again john….

i tried a suggestion on one of the forums you linked to. boot up win 8 in safe mode with networking. did so. still could not connect. powered off win 8. logged onto the jetpack from my macbook. looked at settings. saw the connection to my mac. turned on the win 8 machine in regular mode. now it connects! i did not change any settings in win 8 or in the jetpack. restarted win8. still connects.

maybe this will help someone else.

thanks again.

roger

John_Getzke
Champion - Level 1

Thanks for sharing, glad to hear its working for you.

It was sounding like the Jetpack was not authenticating you to use the internet even though it was allowing you to connect to its local network.  This impression came from the fact that you had a good IP Address on your machines but could not ping google.  Testing from safemode with networking also would seem to confirm that there would be no other programs interfering with your basic internet connection.

Restarting the machine a few times must have caused the internet registration problem to go away.  Lets hope it continues to allow you to connect in the future.

What is interesting is that your XP machine can Ping Google and does have a good IP Address.  That would tell me there is a browser problem and you should try either resetting the browser to defaults/reinstall or downloading a different one and testing with that instead.  Not quite the same situation as your Win8 machine but should be easily fixed once we know the browser setting that is interfering.

0 Likes
rsmack
Enthusiast - Level 2

i was unclear about the xp machine. it does connect to the jetpack and accesses the internet. it’s an old, slow machine we don’t use much anyway. i kept it to play with installing mac os leopard. no success.

0 Likes